Overused and Underused Character Names on Soaps

• Members

Lesley-Anne Down's character on Sunset Beach was originally named Sheila Richards. Lesley objected to the name, which is Australian slang, saying no self-respecting Brit would be called "Sheila". She suggested Olivia.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm named after my father, who was named after his grandfather and uncle, but even I got tired of all the Juniors and twists like Joey becoming Jake, Eric Jr. becoming Rick, Adam Jr. becoming J.R., fake Todd becoming Victor Jr., et cetera.

I do like Victor and Victoria Lord, Eric and Eric Kane, Victor, Victoria, Nichole, and Nicholas Newman, and that's about it.

Oh, and Alan and Alan-Michael Spaulding.

• Members

There’ve been quite a few Lilys over the years as well.

Lily Walsh (ATWT)

Lily Winters (Y&R)

Lily Slater (Loving)

Lily Blake Capwell (Santa Barbara)

Lily Montgomery (AMC)

Lily Corinthos (GH)

Lily Darnell (RH)

Lily Mason (Jackee’s character on AW)

Unless I’m missing someone huge, the only other major Jill than Y&R’s Jill Foster is Jillian “Jill” Coleridge from RH.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

How about Julie/Julia ?

Julie Chandler/Julia Santoa (AMC)

Julia Shearer (AW)

Julie Williams (DOOL)

Julie DeLorean (B&B)

Julia Medina (OLTL)

Julia Capwell (SB)

Julia Newman (Y&R)

Julia Barrett (GH)

Julie Bauer (GL)

Julia Lindsey (ATWT)

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Speaking of Julia Lindsey, I’ve known a lot of Lindsays in my life, but the only major soap character who comes to mind with that as a first name is Catherine Hickland’s OLTL character. It’s used as a surname more often on soaps than as a first name.

EDIT: Forgot about Lauren Koslow’s Y&R character.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Another one was Jill Grant Farmer on Somerset. She was a major character on and off during the series.

Jason was a pretty common name on soaps, especially NBC: Jason Aldrich (The Doctors), Jason Saxton (Lovers and Friends and For Richer, For Poorer), Jason Dunlap (Another World), Jason Frame (Another World), Jason Marler (Guiding Light, though seldom seen), Jason Webb (One Life to Live) Jason Maxwell (All My Children), and Jason McGuire (Dark Shadows) are a few examples.

Edited by robbwolff

• Members

Biased because of it being my name. But,  the only Selena I ever remember being on a soap was Patty D'Arbanville's character on GL. Would kinda like to have there be another one. Haha.

Also. Casey is underused for women. Can only think of Nikki's sister on GL and I know a bunch of lady Casey's IRL. Lauren is another one that someone said that I totally agree with. Not enough Lauren's.

Ashley is overused. As is Amanda, Hope, Faith, Samantha (and it's various nicknames) and the big one...Jennifer! 

As for men. Kevin, Chris, and Michael are used far too often. 

Can't really think of any underused male names. Maybe Tyler. 

• Members

It's seemed after the debut of Y&R in 1973 with the character of Snapper Foster a lot of soaps started having characters with odd names like: Clipper, Draper, etc...Surprisingly in real life I know of a guy named Snapper......LOL. 

• Members

Underused: Lisa (not Liza): Other than Lisa Miller (ATWT), I can't recall any other. After all, she was the original b*tch of daytime. 

I suppose Raven/Charlotte would fall in this category.

Overused Male: Jack. What about Paul or Scott?