Unpopular Opinions

• Members

While all the Dorian's were good in their own way, my vote goes to Nancy Pinkerton's performance as Dorian as my top pick.  Her portrayal was one of the best examples of a "love to hate" character in the business!

On an unrelated subject, I know it's silly, and there is no way they could have kept it, but I always felt that "GH" was never the same after it traded its old-fashioned organ music for a more modern musical score in the mid-70s.  Believe it or not, on the now famous 52nd anniversary episode, where the characters of Steve, Jessie, and Phil were resurrected, I was secretly hoping they'd manage to bring back George Wright-like organ music to add an authentic touch!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Douglas Marland wasn't that great of a head-writer.  He was good, but not the savior and king of perfection people like to make him out to be.

GL and ATWT deserved to be cancelled and I'm glad they weren't revived.  They both were too far gone to be saved.

• Members

I would not describe Marland as perfect; no soap writer is. But there is no doubt he saved GH in the late 1970s. The show SOARED very quickly under his pen, and continued to enjoy immense popularity long after he and the quality of the writing had disappeared. The residual effect of his turning the show around kept GH atop the ratings heap for years.

Under the circumstances at the time, it is good ATWT and TGL were not revived, because continuing the series with the same idiots in change would have been pointless. Those incompetent/clueless/indifferent morons had destroyed the shows. It would have taken a miracle-worker team of producers and writers (and a massive infusion of cash) to even begin to repair the damage done to TGL. With Nancy Curlee and Wendy Riche at its helm, with the production model being returned to normal, with Peapack relegated to history, with the quick elimination of all the endless and irrelevant "newbies", and with the reintroduction of familiar, beloved characters, TGL might have had a chance. Gloria Monty and Douglas Marland had revived GH from life support. But none of this was going to happen. There were no miracle workers for TGL, and no interest in fixing the show, so it was doomed, alas.

ATWT, on the other hand, still had a higher budget, still had some decent sets, and still had most of its structure still intact. Many beloved vets were still living in Oakdale. Of the two P&G soaps, I think it would have been the better candidate for revival. Again, massive behind-the-scenes changes would have been needed. I'd again select Riche and Curlee to helm the show. It would need a higher budget. Loathed and/or irrelevant characters would need to be axed. Goodbye Katie and Janet! But again, with no real interest or miracle workers in sight to save the show, ATWT was doomed too. 

But if Goutman and Pissy had been replaced years earlier...ahh, what might have been.

• Members

On OLTL, viewers almost unanimously gave thumbs down to Bruce Hall when he began played "Father Joey," but personally, I did not mind the view. Both Hall twins were adorable, so I enjoyed Hall's tenure on the show for the babe-appeal alone. I know, I know, I am a shallow 'ho.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Y&R has had the worst written and performance of dialogue- and I’m a Y&R fan.  When an entire week used to go by with “My former wife Nikkkkehhhh mother of my Son Nicholassss and Daghtahhhh Victoria....but she wassss my Wife Nikkkkehhhhh!”  “Dommmmmm you she was my wiffffffe!”   The role of Victor Newman is now being played by the character of Sue Ellen from Dallas.  Their acting and accents will continue to get a lot worse.  

• Members

I found the Quartermaines on GH super annoying, especially during the Labines’ tenure, even though I thought the actors were uniformly good to great. 

Jacqueline MacInnes Wood is fantastic and would have been a major soap star in a different era.

I hate Cane, but Daniel Goddard is a decent actor, and the whispering doesn’t bug me.

Steve Burton was very good in his last few months on Y&R and deserved his Emmy.

Jonathan Jackson is the only Lucky, and everyone else was miscast.

Kirk Geiger was the only Kevin who ever registered with me.

In the years I’ve watched AMC, the show was only ever truly good during Broderick’s mid-‘90s run.

• Members

I've always loved Joshua as Nicholas. He plays him very much as Nikki's son and I think that's why he gets so much flack. He's not as hard-charging as Victoria or Victor; he's much more like Nikki and has the temperament of his most influential stepfather, Jack,

• Members

Every ABC show has deserved to be cancelled before either one of them.  I'm glad we'll never see Susan Lucci again because she was a horrible actress, and Tony Geary couldn't carry Michael Zaslow's shoes.  Wendy Riche absolutely stunk as an EP.  Let's Brawl. 

Let's see what comes out of GH if they are forced to fire people over and over and film the show on a handheld camera. And edit on it.  Let's see what you've got when you have zero money - and the NY soaps had people who worked on Broadway far more than LA ever will. 

The people that gripe about Josh Morrow are the same people who never complained about Ron Moss on B&B.  An actor who never should have been employed. 

+1.  I see far more worse people on Y&R that get no hate.  People are starting to love Abby (Melissa Ordway), and Hunter King is coming back apparently.  The actor who plays Devon is awful - he's always been a gigantic suck of life out of a scene.  There just isn't anything there.  In recent years - Peter Berman dials it in and it doesn't look or sound like he's even trying.  Just my opinion but the Morrow haters need to start to pay attention to alot of the actors and actresses on this show. 

• Members

The Quartermaines became a very bad self-parody. At least the Labines seemed to like the family - you could tell how much Guza loathed them. 

I loved Stuart Damon, wonderful actor, and Leslie Charleson was also an intelligent, underrated actress, but I could not hear any more "This is my house!" "I gave it to you!" again, ever. I would have broken my TV. 

I liked him too. I thought he had the sweetness and decency that Joey needed, and that had slowly been taken from him since Nathan Fillion mentally checked out. He was probably my favorite Joey after Chris McKenna. 

Archived