The soap opera writers' discussion

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know David Jacobs is credited as "creating" Dallas and Knots, but do we know his contributions?  I see that he wrote on the first three seasons of Dallas, and he wrote the TV Movie Dallas: The Early Years. So, was he the head writer? Are there any significant episodes that we can attribute to him?  Did he adapt the source material for Dallas?  

In other words, does anyone know if he was more of a writer or a producer?

Edited by j swift

• Members

I am watching a rerun of To Tell the Truth, and writer Ira Avery (Love of Life, The Secret Storm, The Doctors, Search for Tomorrow, The Guiding Light, Love Is a Many Splendored Thing).

He was using the pen name Mavis Hathaway to write a new romance novel.

• Members

I do remember the name Katherine Babecki.   I had not realized that this was Katherine Phillips before now, I don't think.

It is a little like writer Cathy Chicos, who wrote All My Children.   She was actually Cathy Nixon, daughter of Agnes Nixon, after her marriage.

• Members

Did Agnes son-in-law also write for the show or am I confused?

Agnes mentored Wisner Washam but after he left AMC I don't think he wrote any other soap. He was pretty much de facto headwriter for many years.'

He clashed with Megan McTavish I believe and quit the show.

I have just read Agnes' book and wish she had have gone into more detail about BTS stuff.

• Members

Mr. Washam was later head writer for The Guiding Light.

He was the husband of Anne Barcroft (Ann #3) and the father of Ian Washam (Little Phillip #1).

I have never understood why he did not work on Loving.   I loved the work of head writer Ralph Ellis, but I expect that the show would have been better had Mr. Washam written it.

Edited by danfling

• Members

He did write for GL but I don't believe he was the head writer.  Of course JFP did not like him - his writing would be too intelligent for her. 

I agree that he should have been made head writer of Loving.  He quite possibly could have been the one to make it a hit.

https://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/03/wisner-washam-interview-part-3-of-3.html

We Love Soaps: You also wrote for GUIDING LIGHT at one point.
Wisner Washam: When I was canned from ALL MY CHILDREN, I lacked six months having enough time with the Writers Guild to be covered by the health insurance plan. Back in those days you had to work 20 years, count 'em, 20 years, in order to vest. I lacked six months. At that point, Lorraine Broderick was working at GUIDING LIGHT and, bless her heart, got me a job. They hired me but I did not fit in at all. Jill Farren-Phelps was the producer and she didn't like me. At the end of six months I was let go. 

• Members

How long was it before Lois Kibbee left the role of Elizabeth Sanders on One Life to Live and her death?

I have wondered why she never became a writer on the that show.   I think that she appeared after the time that Henry Slesar had left his writing position on that show.   (They had written The Edge of Night together at one time.)

I wonder if she had become ill by the time that Elizabeth was written off the show.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I had long wondered about the late writer Lou Shaw.   I see his name many nights as the creator of Quincy, M. E.

I learned this afternoon that he was once the husband of the late soap opera writer Peggy O'Shea, a wonderful writer (in my opinion) of One Life to Live and the serial Capitol.

I remember that Ms. O'Shea departed from One Life to Live saying that she would never write for a daytime drama again because the networks were too interfering. 

She also wrote for Search for Tomorrow and Love of Life.   She collaborated with her husband to write episodes of the primetime Peyton Place.

Edited by danfling