Shows You Are Sick Of In Reruns

SoapDope

• Members

The younger generations are definitely losing touch with older TV shows. I was born in the ‘80s, but of course things like I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, MTM, The Bob Newhart Show, etc. were ubiquitous in reruns on local stations and on Nick at Nite. And really those are what everyone watched. Now they are only really seen on very niche channels or very rarely are on streaming but are subsumed in the sheer variety of more modern series. Granted, I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke were only 20-30 years old when I was growing up, same as Golden Girls and Friends for kids now. But I feel like there’s a whole American television heritage getting lost in the deluge of Peak TV. It’s painful when I see a discussion on Goldderby of the greatest TV shows of all time and see so many mentions of 30 Rock and so few of Mary Tyler Moore. Still, the modest success of CBS’s recent Carol Burnett retrospective with young viewers was encouraging.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I miss the days of when The Golden Girls(and Designing Women) were on Lifetime, and when Lifetime showed Empty Nest and Nurses as well. 

I think what irritates me is not the shows themselves, but of course them being on multiple cable channels in addition to any local channel that airs it in syndication sometimes on at the SAME time!! Not to mention you can find said online as well at Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime etc. Overkill really. 

So much for the 500 channel universe that was dreamed of 20 years ago. Its reality is horrible. 

One show not listed yet is Cheers, and I know that show was rerun to death in the 90's and early '00s in syndication on local channels before any cable channel touched it. 

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Thank you for the info, but alas, I do not get FETV. 

Since I lack channels which air golden oldies, I rely mainly on youtube and the internet to provide me with my vintage-TV fix. Quite frankly, I tend to enjoy the classics from television's golden era more than a lot of material being produced today. 

Unfortunately for me, many streaming sites do not carry a huge number of vintage series. If a show I love is available on DVD, I buy it, but many older programs never get released commercially, at least not in their entirety. Case in point: FAMILY (1976-80, with Kristy McNichol) and ST ELSEWHERE, both of which failed to sell well when their first seasons were released on disc, and therefore got dropped by their studios.

After hunting around for DECADES, I have finally gotten my hands on the complete (well, minus two episodes) run of ST ELSEWHERE, which thrills me to no end, but I am still searching for seasons 3-5 of FAMILY. I would kill to get my hands on this, but alas, I am close to giving up hope.

• Members

I saw some episodes from seasons 3-5 of Family surface on youtube. I don't know if you could search ioffer and see if someone taped the entire run from the Decades channel etc...and have them to buy. It may be the best you can do since there will probably never be a complete release. A lot people have also complained about the series B.J. and The Bear.

• Members

I do check youtube every so often, to see if any "new" episodes of Family pop up. If you've noticed material from seasons 3-5 recently, I will check again.

I swear that I have seen BJ and the Bear...somewhere, but not being a fan of the series, I did not pay attention to where it was. If I stumble across it again, I will let you know.

Archived