Series You Loved from Beginning to End

YRBB

• Members

Based on the great threads/discussion that have popped up lately, and to put a more positive spin, were there any shows you really loved (or grew to love) from beginning to end that never really faltered?

No major hiccups for you or storylines that derailed the show? If any missteps or small issues, what were they? 

Any shows you'd call brilliant pretty much from beginning to end?

I do hope there will be some to mention!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Wire. Hands down. Alongside Twin Peaks the best television I've ever seen in my life.

Peaks, for me, never faltered quite as much as others say - but I guess it doesn't apply since its mid-Season 2 lull is undeniable.

• Members

Without a doubt "Upstairs Downstairs", the original show that ran from 1971-75. It's my favourite tv-show ever.  

Please register in order to view this content

Looking at it now, of course the technical aspects betray their age, and maybe all 68 episodes weren't top-notch, but as a whole it maintained its high standard from beginning to end. The acting was always superb, the characters well-rounded and it dealt with historical events and social developments with impeccable style.

• Members

Here's my (incomplete) list:

COMEDY

Barney Miller

The Bob Newhart Show

Cheers

The Dick Van Dyke Show

M*A*S*H (even the more sentimental years had a higher quality than most sitcoms of its day)

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Odd Couple

The Phil Silvers Show

Taxi

WKRP in Cincinnati

DRAMA

Columbo ("Last Salute to the Commodore" notwithstanding)

Family

Hill Street Blues

Lou Grant

Murder, She Wrote

The Rockford Files

Sisters

St. Elsewhere (...although, I'll concede that it had its flaws)

thirtysomething

The White Shadow

• Members

I have now realized I am watching a lot of shows still, at a glacial place, and have finished very few

Please register in order to view this content

. So this will not include any shows I'm still watching (like Cheers) which are likely to never disappoint.

Battlestar Galactica (four good, satisfying years)

Six Feet Under (utter perfection, even if anything Lisa was ... irritating, and the absolute best finale ever)

Breaking Bad (yes, the hype is very, very earned)

Spartacus (survived a recast of its TITLE CHARACTER and thrived all the way through with gusto which included a hot ass gay couple)

Nurse Jackie

Damages (despite the up and down from each season to the next, saw the whole thing in 2 weeks, the fastest I've ever binged anything)

The Killing

Friends (despite seasons 9 and 10)

• Members

Friends - started getting a bit painful toward the end, especially when it became the Chandler and Monica show, but Paul Rudd was a perfect addition. I only wish he had been introduced sooner. I wonder if the cast feels like they did one or two too many seasons? 

Facts of Life - enjoyed watching the girls grow. Mrs. G's spirit was always there. 

Degrassi Jr. High/High - major part of my childhood as a Canadian kid. Just say no to 'School's Out'.

WKRP - everything. The music, the cast. Thrilled I was able to recently watch it from start to finish.

A Different World - it's interesting how the first season, IMO, was the weakest. Once it channelled in on the brilliance of Jasmine Guy and stopped circling the Cosby/Denise element, it soared.

I wanted to add Family Ties to the list, but it might be better suited for the thread where I loved the show in the beginning, but not at the end. Too much Alex. But then, I remember, "There was a kangaroo in my living room."

• Members

I loved Damages a lot, but the messy writer's strike issues on Season 2 (along with William Hurt's sudden and unplanned exit, requiring more rewrites) and the certain narrative gimmicks it kept returning to made it more than a bit flawed. Season 3 was excellent and underrated, with some incredible work from Martin Short, Lily Tomlin and Campbell Scott. And Seasons 4 and 5 were quite good. It ended well and that's what matters.

• Members

For me season 5 is the one to struggle with as a lot of the show starts to feel like a self-parody, especially anything involving Freddie. It's also sad to see Jaleesa, my favorite character, so meaningless. 

I didn't agree with everything they did in season 6 (especially some of the tone of the Whitney/Dwayne relationship) but I'm glad they course-corrected some elements from that year and added some life back. 

• Members

Bates Motel

Scandal 

The Middle

The Shield

Loved with exceptions...

Profiler - when the profiler was Dr. Samantha Waters. 

Will & Grace 1.0  - the first season was a bit janky with Michael Patrick King's writing. In Season 2, it ditched some baggage and found its course.

Sex and the City - the season 1 "testimonials" were a distraction, but I forgive those... Season 5 was enjoyable, but Carrie's character had some really stupid moments laced throughout.

The Office - except for James Spader's season. He just wasn't a fit. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Archived