Your daily (or nightly) thought

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, we are in deep $hit when it comes to the environment and climate change.  I remember people being afraid if what was happening to the frog population 25 years ago.  Little has changed for the better. Of course, the disaster has already started, but I feel bad for children who are born 2o years from now.  Maybe we can hope the next generation will do better and can slow down the damage, but I suspect it's too late.

• Members

It's one of those things I noticed with bees, even before the news stories began, but I didn't know the full scale. I don't even know why I post these because it's so depressing and as you said it's probably too late, but I just, foolishly, like to believe it would set off some sort of moment in the universe to where something might improve. 

• Members

I don't mean to sound so bleak.  Sometimes human civilization does take a great leap forward and that could still happen. One thing that comforts me is to remember that we aren't really outside the natural world even though our self awareness makes it seem so.  Are we really any different than a herd of deer that overpopulates and dies off as result? I would argue we aren't. Not in any way that matters, we're just self aware enough to know we are doing it, but not in control enough to stop it. 

As one of my physics teachers used to say, the planet itself will be just fine. Some people think that's an obnoxious viewpoint, but I see it like there have been other mass extinctions and yet life flourishes.  There is hope for life itself on this planet even if it isn't human or particularly intelligent. A quarter of a billion years from now there might be an amazing amount of biodiversity on Earth.

Another bright point is that I'm guessing you and I won't be around to see things get really bad even if we don't change course.  I feel bad for my potential grandchildren though. If we don't turn this ship around things are going to get real mid-century, not to deny that we can see the beginning of change now.   Anyway, who knows? There could be technological advancements that slow down climate change/pollution. I really do believe that's possible, given how fast tech has advanced just in the last 100 years.

• Members

You didn't sound bleak - if you did it's no different to what I'm feeling, most likely. As you said the only real hope I have is that technology may be invented to reverse some of what we're seeing or have yet to see. That won't be happening in the US, clearly, but maybe somewhere. It's about all we have.

• Members

Weezer were popular when I was in junior high/high school, so they were important to me as a budding music fan. Well, in the wake of their viral remake of Toto’s “Africa” last year, they’ve released an album of covers, and it has drawn an unusual amount of ire.

• Members

Our descent into dystopia is accelerating.

I hate knowing that every move I make is going to be watched and analyzed by a cooler.  Sometimes i just want to go back and live in the 70's.  Not to be confused with the notion of wanting it to be the 70's so everyone else loses their rights. I just want to go back myself to a time where every single thing we do isn't watched.

• Members

It's so odd to me that Sunday is going to roll around and we are going to pretend that what's happening on the field isn't destroying people's brains.

Yet white parents are starting to flee that sport. This is a sad story about why it's harder for other parents to do the same.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/02/football-white-flight-racial-divide/581623/?utm_source=twb

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I just noticed that someone FINALLY put the opening credits for the Louise Lasser season of It's A Living (or Making a Living - whatever) up on Youtube. Now that this is checked off the list I truly believe we are one step closer to world peace. 

Edited by DRW50