GH January 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Genie almost singlehandedly helped keep this show on the air when she was little more than a child. That's just a fact. The show repaid her by getting her hooked on drugs and telling her she was worth nothing compared to the man she gave a lasting career (and whose fortunes she salvaged again years later). Genie left, did primetime and married well, and she still couldn't get a fraction of that respect.

• Members

Agree.

You know, before Genie Francis returned in '93, GH was not in great shape.  I THINK Claire Labine and her team had come aboard already, but I don't believe they had been there long enough to clean up all the messes that previous writing regimes had left behind; and at a time when so many other shows were grabbing all the attention and accolades -- AMC, OLTL, the Bill Bell shows, DAYS, even GL and ATWT -- GH was just not on a lot of people's radars anymore.  Ergo, I don't think I'd be lying or overstating to say she saved that wretched show not once, but twice.  All the other great stuff that came from Labine and Wendy Riche -- B.J.'s death/Maxie's heart transplant, Stone's battle with AIDS, Sonny and Brenda's initial romance -- wouldn't have meant a damn thing to anyone, had Luke and Laura's return not generated some buzz and brought back lapsed viewers.

And the funny thing is, Genie didn't HAVE to return to GH at all.  When execs at ABC told her that she was worth more to them as Laura than she would ever be as AMC's Ceara, she could've easily told 'em all to shove it and refuse to return under any circumstances.  Who knows?  If she hadn't gone back to GH , she might've landed either another NBC soap or even a gig on one of the CBS or P&G shows.

• Members

Wendy Riche arrived in '92 and had to clean up Gloria Monty's mess - she tried a little bit of everything, from using Emma Samms to new teens (Jagger, Karen, Jason, AJ), to Scott and Dominique and so on. The results were very mixed.

Labine came in in August of '93, IIRC, and L&L came back a month or two later. It had to have been in the mix with her almost immediately - she or Riche (or both) went with the Luke/Laura renaissance. I'm not sure whose idea it was. Legend claims it was Geary who pitched L&L to save his job when Eckert was finally being put down, and ABC then forced Genie off AMC to return to GH. Either way, L&L (and Lucky) took off like a rocket - they were everywhere I looked that fall, which is how I got into the show as a kid - and the Labine era went from there.

Archived