How to fix the mess that is The Bold and The Beautiful?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everyone is so messy on this show, they don't even have a real matriarch or matriarch, someone everybody else loves, respects and asks for advice. A stable, "boring" person that keeps a balance. Tom & Alice Horton stayed around forever for a good reason. Eric cannot fill that void. How about Ridge and Taylor? 

Stop changing the family and business dynamics every six weeks. Nobody cares at this point. Decide who works where, who is whose brother, sister, friend and try working with what you have. 

Brooke works better as an outsider. She should be competing with the Forresters, while secretly still in love with Ridge while she is married to Bill, raising Katie's child and fighting with Steffy over him.

Rick and Maya working with Brooke. Thomas and Steffy at FC. R.J. in conflict.

Nu-Saul should be Brooke's gay assistant.

A young woman obsessing over Rick and trying to destroy Maya's life causing a huge scandal involving something from her past. How about the little girl she raised? This could be her Cassie. 

• Members

Funnily enough after years away and only vaguely keeping up with story summaries since about 2002, I decided to watch all of the episodes around the 30th anniversary and see if I wanted to hang around.

The 30th week itself I enjoyed. Great location shoot, Quinn as an interloper, some actual "characters" in the new Spectras... Then as I kept watching, I slowly began to realise why I ended up giving up on the show in the first place. 

Too many scenes of dullards like Charlie/Pam or Zende/Nicole hanging around talking about characters with more interesting lives than their own. Terrible story pacing - it goes 5mph to 100mph and then just stalls completely.

Worst of all, because the characters have been de-aged, recast and slept with or worse married each other so many times, I don't care what happens. I know that everything will just be reset in a few months and start from square one again. Brooke/Ridge/Bill - absolutely no stakes because this story and variations of it have literally happened three times a year since 2001.

The show needs structure, long term planning and stakes. For me, Brooke taking over Forrester back in the day was soap gold because you could almost taste the satisfaction - it was a pay off that completely shook up the canvas. And it managed to involve the whole Forrester family in different ways without them sleeping with their in-laws.

I don't think the show is beyond salvageable because it should be the easiest soap to pull off that's still on air. There is still an international following, a decent budget, Patrick Mulcahey on staff, a defined concept in the fashion business which is still relevant and only 18 bloody minutes of airtime to fill! There must be so many creative minds who could write a twisty, compelling, sex and glamour soap about a Californian fashion dynasty. 

• Members

No because B&B wanted to be PC , that's why EVERY SINGLE person on canvas accepted her immediately and there was a flash-and-Rick accepts it turned into insta-marriage. I hated the decision because they finally figured out what to do with Maya and she turned into B&B's first diverse leading lady. Regardless, they had tons of great potential stories, including having Rick sleep with Caroline instead of Thomas. It's a real shame what they did to JY and KM.

• Members

Fire Brad bell...ban him from the show.  What he's done to his parents creation is almost as bad as what Corday did to his parents creation of Days (after his mother fought tooth and nail to keep it going after her husband died suddenly).

If we must keep it in the Bell family...try Laura lee Bell...she actually has the gene for creating..imho

• Members

I mentioned not so long ago about how trashy it is and someone said, 'well it's always been that way.'   To me, when the show first came on the air, the first several years - it was not like this at all.  If you look back at old clips - Stephanie confronting the Doctor and "Angela"/Deveny - for hoodwinking her all these years...there were some serious moments.  There were campy moments but they also had stories that built to a climax more slowly.  More like Y&R was.  There is nothing that builds on this show at all and there's no real payoff.  Maybe one of the only slower stories that finally built to a climax was maybe Quinn's kidnapping of Liam - and in the end they even made it more ridiculous and there wasn't really a payoff to me at all. 

Things happen way too fast - Brooke breaks up with Ridge and is engaged to Bill the same day practically.  The same tired triangle of Wyatt/Liam/(insert girl's name)....hopping from one girl to another - again practically in the same day.  They don't have any relationships develop at all on this show.  Even Katie's friendship with Eric - it's believable they would be friends given the history - Eric has slept with or been married to all of her sisters and her Mother...LOL.  But we just didn't see a friendship building - it happened over about 2 weeks and then she's living next door. 

I actually liked the idea of the Spectras but they could have done with a few less of them....and instead of rehash of the same types of characters, what if they'd made Sally actually have talent and pull off a real line of her own, instead of "stealing" the designs like they did 50 times in the 80's and 90's.  Because of the ratings I don't think the Spectras will be on for long - and it's kind of not fair.  She's a good actress I think and she does have chemistry with Thomas...but they needed to move slower and not be completely gah gah over each other in 2 days. 

• Members

Do you guys think Scott Clifton was deserving of his Emmy win the other night? Not only is he the first actor in Daytime Emmy history for winning in all three categories (Lead, Supporting and Younger), but I believe he's the only B&B actor to win for Lead Actor (Susan Flannery won for Lead Actress on B&B at least once, but I think it was twice).

Archived