All My Children to Netflix?

• Members

I agree with this. I don't think any of the "traditional" family-based soaps should ever receive full-blown remakes. Regardless of the nuances we as die-hard fans know them all to have, ultimately, they bled together in the mainstream view, so launching a remake of "As the World Turns" would be exactly the same as launching a remake of "All My Children" or "Days of Our Lives." Personal and professional drama about closely-connected families. Obviously, it's a viable concept, but it's not unique to any one of those shows. They'd be better off just creating a new family soap.

"Passions," "Dark Shadows," "Edge of Night" - totally with you on those three. Imagine Henry Slesar at the helm of an online EON with 10 hour-long episodes per year. One mystery slowly unfolding over the episodes, touching on the police department, the legal system, the media, the hospital, etc. And each season could concern a different family or group of people in Monticello but still feature that core group of characters. DS, of course, is a no-brainer and is so ripe for a remake...

I could totally see GL go back to its original premise with the faith-based overtones of the virtuous reverend helping the citizens solve their problems, but it wouldn't exactly be a mainstream hit.

Yeah, at this point, this where I am, too. I've started an attempt to make my way through every single episode of the show that's uploaded on YT in chronological order - watching two or three episodes at a time whenever I have the free time and I'm in the mood - and it's giving me so much more than another revival would. It's like I'm falling in love all over again...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All My Children could be rebooted simply because of Susan Lucci. Base the entire thing around Erica Kane. But I wouldn't say that about OLTL or DAYS or AW, etc. I think AMC could work, but years have already gone by so it's kind of hard to even imagine a reboot at this point. And in terms of "remakes" "reboots" .... to me, a remake is doing the show entirely over again, same cast of characters just new actors (One Day at a Time sort of falls under this). Reboot to me means start the show back up as is (Fuller House falls under this).

GL you could probably get away with. Edge of Night and Dark Shadows are the two perfect shows that could be rebooted/remade, etc. I just don't see anyone even thinking of these properties though. Shame.

• Members

Which is why I loathe the word "reboot" and its ubiquity. IIRC, it was originally used solely for franchises to refer to bringing back a movie/TV/merchandising franchise that had been popular before with new movie, TV, and/or merchandising products (all of the superhero sh!t, for instance). In that context, it makes sense, especially when you're taking the source material in a different direction.

Before that, the words "remake" for a retelling of the same story and "revival" for a continuation of the original story were perfectly good enough, and I will use them through to my dying days.

• Members

I agree with you.  I always felt that 'Reboot' was a revival but on a mass scale (and highly stragetized) such as, as you said, the superheros.   Though, the tech-geek will always make me think 'restart' when I hear the word...as that is what your doing when you reboot a computer.

Not to get off-topic but ever since I read 1984 a year ago I loath the word.  It feels like 'Newspeak'.  Reboot is the catch all for:  Continuing (Some called the game 'Resident Evil 7' a reboot...); remaking; reviving.

Going back on track, I remember sitting on the city bus when PP was reving AMC and these people were saying things like 'I can't beleive they are rebooting All my Children.  Nobody can play Erica but La Lucci!  I hope they could atleast bring in older cast members to make cameos, at least.'  These people really and truly thought they were remaking the show.

• Members

I could get people thinking the shows were being rebooted, with all new actors and a cast, that was just one of the many things that hurt those shows. Still really a bummer they didn't pan out. They needed someone better, or at least more equipped at the time, to succeed. I think they were; JMO. They were consistently the top two on Hulu, for whatever that is worth at the time. The problem is soaps take a large cast, a large crew and a lot of money to pull off. But this doesn't need to be yet another rehash. I just think those were our best bets on soaps surviving and thriving online. I still think DAYS could end up being that show, but we shall see ...

Archived