Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As if 44 didn't cause multiple preemptions. It's also different now with streaming and POP.  Daytime has always been a third-rate dumping ground so the networks chase whatever they 'think' is important. It's worse now because the cable news networks have made evening news less relevant - why do you think it's Scotf Pelley cutting in. Name a time when a president broke in on Saturday or Sunday afternoon during college or pro football - where there are millions more watching. Yeah, they don't. Soaps are just not a network priority. 

JT/JW have been believable as mother/son from the get-go. JT is just fine but forcing Villy and the icky Reed angle has not helped. How can the writers not see what we do? JT/GT sizzle even with just glances. JT/AH don't have that thing at all. I wish Thad would return

• Members

Why are we still debating about that wack azz writer Pratt?

Sally's boring but at least we don't have 'crazy' Sharon running in manic circles and ghost Mariah, and inmate Victor sexing up doctors and terribly contrived storylines like a wacko shrink obsessed with Nick (and Sage, because...same thing) based on some stupid diving accident. Pratt's 'Social Services' attitude (i.e. Black and pregnant characters drive up the budget) toward the Winters.

Pratt's storylines were godawful too and worse still, he didn't know a thing about the characters and didn't give one good god d*mn.

• Members

there are the few who can't stand to see anyone else but Crap Pratt and Jill F'ing P., who either got fired or were forced out for almost ruining this show, who still insists they were the saviors of Y&R. I personally are glad they both are gone and hope they never darken thi show's doorsteps again.

• Members

I was literally JUST about to come here and comment how AH has been on everyday in February. I'm so sick of her. She really brings the show down. Maybe that's why February has been a shitty month. I was loving December, and she wasn't on so much that month. 

• Members

I'm not giving Sally a pass, she needs to step it the hell up, storywise.

People are probably harder on her because she's been here before and she supposedly knows the show (she knows enough to successfully rehabilitate characters who many assumed were damaged beyond repair) but you have to build stories at the same time that your are building characters and she is faltering.

I need her to get some help in constructing some proper storylines. The foundations have already been laid, the Fenmore story, for example, began as being very timely but has since languished in a muddle.

JMO but Fenmore's should be the A story, maybe Jill's heart story is one of the B stories and then there are low priority C and D stories. 

The core actors, like TEB, JW, SC, ED, MTS plus supporting actors like MM, CG and JT, BJ,  are all game and you have CK who are seems to be doing well lately. 

Also, the fairly new hires Abhi Sinha and Darnell Kirkwood are each fairly charming, so I applaud these castings but both characters should probably be interacting with as many other characters in their age group as possible. They don't need to be entangled in a major storyline (although technically Ravi is supposedly part of one) but float them in scenes with other characters in the meantime. Noah, Mariah, Devon, Hillary- they all should be interacting at Crimson Lights, the Underground, Newman Towers, the GCAC. It's particularly weird that Devon and Jordan haven't interacted yet given Lily's friendship and her close relationship with her brother. If Lily hadn't been saddled with an old married lady persona, she would've already invited Devon for drinks with Jordan (Cane can stay at the office) maybe to cheer Devon up and acquaint Jordan with more of her family.

(Question: Does Jordan know Malcolm?)

SS has what she needs to make a decent soap but honestly, she needs to get some help with formulating some stories with forward motion (the Fenmore story practically writes itself). I'm having a tough time understanding why there are no storylines with forward progress.

• Members

I do agree that Lily, hilary, Devon..etc should be mixinf it up.  Didnt hilary and chelsea interact not too long ago?  I could see them being friends.

I will say I was surprised Chelsea was feeling guilt about the Christian secret...and if that keeps her from fully dating Nick...then good.

I noticed during the Newman family dinner that there is a hint of Abby vs victoria...and while that is a organic conflict...there has not been any focus or build up to this...unless this is the start of the build up. Even though MO isnt a great actress, she seems able to play the bitch on wheels that Victoria used to be.  Also, can someone brush AH's hair?  

I think Lauren needs to be seen more in the Fenmore story..even visit Jill at the hospital.  

• Members

^

Hilary WAS friends with Sharon, but out of nowhere, it was dropped and Hilary would go on to post that stupid a** story about Sharon on GC Buzz. 

And I'd be all for Abby v. Victoria as I've always hated how they made Abby assimilate into the Newmans with such ease. I hate how they made Abby drop her disdain for Nikki/Victoria with such ease. I always hoped that Abby (along with Adam) would've been the 2 Newman siblings to cause Nikki and her gruesome twosome grief; however, that stupidly didn't happen.

• Members

Hillary and Chelsea did interact just as Hillary was moving out of the penthouse and Chelsea talked about having to practically start over after Adam. Because they were neighbors it was an easy interaction that seemed to make sense but now that Hillary is out of the penthouse, I'm not sure what cause they have to interact other than at random.

Lily and Sharon had a similar interaction at Crimson Lights, where Sharon talked about now having to run Crimson Lights on her own, while maintaining another job and Lily talked about being in a similar position (I guess Lily still manages the GCAC?) For years, I've been wondering why these two never interact, given how close Dru and Sharon once were so these scenes seemed long overdue and they were thoughtfully written, IMO.

Yeah, I've been noticing that there is a clear intent to pin Abby and Victoria as rivals, I always thought that would've happened years ago but maybe no one thought Abby was on Victoria's level to be taken seriously? Maybe if they hadn't wasted all that time trying to make Abby the Naked Heiress? Some people claimed to enjoy that, I was on a break from Y&R during most of that time,so I can't rightfully say whether or not that was a waste of time.

• Members

The naked heriess was during a time when another actress played Abby.  She was more like a Paris hilton type then a serious business woman.  MO couldnt have played that story..imho...shes too serious..or that is how she plays Abby.

Now that I think of it...it does make sense that Sharon and lily should interact more.  

I guess Hilary and chelsea could interact at Nick's bar/club?  

• Members

I was actually wondering whether Marcy Rylan could've played Abby as a junior executive in training rather than the Naked Heiress? In other words, was that whole storyline of having Abby be the Naked Heiress worth the effort? I don't know.

Does Hillary normally go to the Underground though? She would have to have a reason to go. From what I see in previews, it looks like SS/MY are trying to make The Underground more of a social 'go to' place, so maybe Hillary will have more cause to go.

Archived