Singer George Michael Dead At 53

Roman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, I do agree that in terms of choreography and the routines with multiple dancers were her thing. But then again, you could just as easily give Paul Abdul just as much credit in that arena, as routines like that were not only part of her videos, but she actually choreographed for a ton of artists during that era (including Michael, Janet and George Michael). 

Janet had a pretty good run for 86-01, but in terms of total records sold, she does somewhat lag behind the others mentioned. 

• Members

To be fair, he still had a popular career in the UK (and other places), but I think the combination of being a "gay celebrity" and his record company issues hurt his success in the US. Too Funky preceded Fastlove by like 4 years, lol. Too Funky was on a one-off project in 1992, and Fastlove was from his 1996 album Older.

The version of Older that was released in the US was very different from the one released in the UK and other parts of the world. I prefer the UK version, and I think that's one of his best albums. 

• Members

Older was a HUGE album in the UK as well. Six singles released, not one charted lower than #3. I believe Older was far bigger than even Faith in the UK. He was having Top 10 hits well into the Mid-2000s in Britain. I felt Patience was a bit hit-or-miss relative to Older, but it was still lovely to have him back. 

Fantastic artist, gone too soon. He's been a dramatic influence on me, and it's a real heartbreak that he's gone.

• Members

To think, there was a time when a song like "I Want Your Sex" was banned from radio stations.  Now, you hear that song, and it's downright quaint compared to what IS played on the radio and elsewhere.

You know, even as the public restroom scandal became front-page news, I didn't understand why it was such a big deal to so many, or why some felt the need to make tasteless and silly jokes about the situation.  So what if GM were gay and soliciting sex in a public restroom in Beverly Hills?  It might have been a crime at the time, but it wasn't as if he had committed murder.

Besides, there are heterosexuals in L.A. who have done far worse, and in far less discreet places.

Archived