• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • Members

S1, E6

OMG!!! How I hate this Tommy man.

But this has gone from slow burn to just engrossing as all gets out. Though I am happy to have part of my system working again.

I have so many questions watching it though so you all were right. It's funny how watching this reflects on what is going on now.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Perhaps it's due to my current situationship (?) but I have to say Elizabeth and the radio to her husband who had sent a video was so romantic since they are literally separated from each other. And yet have to put on a front.

And given the first episode already showed they are not going to be in the same spot...tragic.

So well done.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Season 6, the final season, has premiered with the first 4 episodes. The final 6 will be released in mid December.

I have watched all of the first 4 and found myself overcome in a couple of instances. One was a throwaway line by a minor character that meant so much now that The Queen is gone. The other concerned the death of Diana and the particular creative choice that the writers made.

Elizabeth Debicki was absolutely perfect. Flawless. She has set a bar that no actress will ever achieve in portraying Diana. My heart broke for her. 

Dominic West was also excellent as Charles. There is a particular scene after Diana has died in which he portrayed this level of grief that was also heartbreaking. Anyone who recalls Diana's death in 1997 will likely agree that he captured Charles' devastation. 

The writing was good in that it treated Diana, Charles, and The Queen fairly and none of them were villains. It acknowledged the complexity of their lives intersecting. There is a scene in the first episode of this season where Diana and Charles talk about being brilliant at divorce and I am so glad it was included because not everyone remembers that the last year of Diana's life was harmonious with Charles and there was footage and photographs of the two of them hugging goodbye after an event for William. By that point in time, relations were friendly, which is why Charles was as devastated as he was when she died. 

The only thing I think the writers got wrong was their portrayal of Mohammed Al Fayed. The episode devoted to him in the previous season was so excellent that the writing for him in this season felt a bit more of a caricature. 

• 1 month later...