NETFLIX: The Crown

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, Gillian Anderson is excellent, especially in episode 8. The relationship between the Queen and Thatcher is a subject of much fascination. I like that the writing did not shy away from them having moments of hatred. 

One thing is for certain: this season (especially episodes 9 and 10) is going to destroy the hard work Charles and Camilla have put into their public image over the last 20 years. The hypocrisy by which Charles appears to have conducted himself is shocking. This portrayal will canonize Diana, all over again.

The only big letdown for me is that Sarah Ferguson is a minor character without any dialog this season. The actress they cast for her was physically excellent casting. Even if they'd just had that real life moment where Charles admonished Diana, saying "Why can't you be all jolly like Fergie?" that would have been something. 

Princess Anne is a standout in this season - she is equal parts biting and hilarious, as I suspect she is in real life.

Edited by DaytimeFan

• Members

I have yet to see the new season, so I am scrolling and skipping past all discussions but I saw this AP article, which made me halfway roll my eyes and halfway chuckle at the complaints regarding the portrayal of the royals. I would think that the very fact that the show is using actors and not relying on newsreel footage would tell people that this is not a documentary. And the Churchill biographer had a point in that, nobody was complaining when the portrayals were more sympathetic or flattering, though there were clearly fictionalized scenes and characters.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But never underestimate the stupidity of people.  

Please register in order to view this content

That's only natural. I don't think anyone has ever been harrassed because of sympathetic or flattering portrayals. But it's been reported that Prince Charles and Camilla have been attacked on both Twitter and Instagram due to the way they're portrayed on The Crown.

• Members

Which seems like a massive waste of one's time. Are Charles and Camila actually on social media? I thought the Royals didn't check that. It may sound a bit harsh but considering the fact that the public has only started to tolerate them as a couple about a decade ago, it would be unwise for them to be checking social media, but I just doubt they do. As long as it stays confined to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, they should be able to manage.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...