The Danish Girl:

ChitHappens

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This, along with Joy, are the two worst "prestige" films I've seen in a good while. Eddie Redmayne was awful, the direction was horrendous, the dialogue was cheesy and ridiculous, and frankly the whole thing was downright offensive in some places. Only Alicia Vikander came out unscathed. I'm so glad this is getting ripped apart. So offensive and cheesy. I'm pretty sure my husband and sister both hate me for making them watch this. 

• Members

Well first off, the movie never should have been made with completely miscast Eddie Redmayne and that hack Tom Hooper. Hooper can't direct his way out of a paper bag and Redmayne was about 20 years to young for the part. They should have had a woman or at the very least a trans* woman play the part. Instead we got Redmayne and his hammy tic-laden theatrics. 

As for it being the 1920s, this was Europe in the 1920s. Nobody would have patted an eye at some of this stuff. In fact, the real Lili regularly went out dressed in women's frocks for most of the 1910s and 1920s and it was accepted and a known fact. That the film presented Lili dressing up in female frocks as some taboo secret and a manifestation of an underlying mental illness when neither played a part in the real Lili's story is offensive and gross to the real people involved. Never mind just forgetting the well known fact that Lili was most likely intersex. Also, she was, by all accounts, a very strong person and personality...and we get weak, basic, and bland Eddie Redmayne. 

Then there's the actual movie filled with cringeworthy peep show scenes, ugly establishing shots that look like someone is going for the most likes on Instagram, and horrible, cheesy, offensive dialogue. "It's not what a wear, it's what a dream", "you have the thinnest hips in Copenhagen", "I've only liked a few people in my life and you've been two of them". GTFO of here with that. Basic and melodramatic. 

I'm so annoyed that Redmayne and his quivering lips and blushing are basically a sure thing for a nomination while people like Michael B. Jordan, Matt Damon, Steve Carrell, and even Will Smith are on the outside looking in. Thank god this is getting nowhere near picture, director, or screenplay. The only one I'd nominate is Vikander but hopefully the category confusion will benefit her in a way that she ends up nominated for Ex Machina. 

Archived