DAYS: New Horton Ornamert Photo Retrospective

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're welcome!  Margo's no longer exists (Mike Horton's late wife), and that was the best screencap I could get for it. Trish supposedly had one too, since Patty Weaver is seen near the tree hanging an ornament in a flashback, but the ones of characters long ago from the 1970's no longer seem to exist (except for their appearances on the videotapes in the "Days" archives"), so until they ever broadcast episodes from the 1970's, we may never know exactly how many others had ornaments back then. Bob Anderson (Julie's husband) may have had one for a time. I don't have the complete scripts yet for the Christmas episodes in the late 70s-early 80s, so those are the years I'm most sketchy about. If I ever do get some more scripts from that time frame, we may finally get a better record of the ornaments. I do have every Christmas episode (actually EVERY episode) since around November 1983, so the records for 1983-present are as complete as can be,

Me too. It's a project I've always wanted to complete, and I did the best I could in recent years with blurrier versions of the ones I could only get screencaps of. But, it's finally nice to have the complete current collection nice and large for all to see! I was hoping to get Chase and Thomas Jack's this week, but with the hiatus, looks like the nice large versions of those won't be available until January. I'll re-do those couple of rows and add in the nicer versions of them in the near future.

• Members

Great work as usual.When did the ornaments become part of the show? Was it after husbands  like Ben Olsen and Craig Merritt had gone? 

What about Alex Marshall and Joshua Fallon?

Did Nathan and Nick's ornaments suddenly appear the first Xmas they were on?

Do ex wives and husbands eg Larry Welch and Bonnie have their ornaments left in the box??

• Members

Joshua's is up there, next to Jessica. Did Marie actually marry Alex? I know she was married to Neil for a while, right?

Yeah, it's from that marriage. 

It's so odd to me that David's and Scotty's are identical. To be fair, they were practically born in the same year... :P

• Members

Do we know if any of them have been replaced over the years?  Julie, Tom and Alice have been around forever, I would be shocked if they are the originals.  Although I have a couple of family ornaments that are over 40 years old that have been passed down.

It really is awesome to see such clear images of most of them.  Makes me laugh though when you see ones from the 1990's like Peter and the filters the show was using them make a clear image nearly impossible.  One time I swear Marlena had on a white coat in the snow and the only way I could see it was her was when she blinked and her eye shadow was revealed lol.

Also, why does Carrie have an ornament?  I'm drawing a blank.

• Members

It popped up sometime in the early 2000s, I think, after she and Mike left town together. We never got verbal confirmation that they had married (either then or when they both returned), but that's the only association that makes sense. She later married Lucas in 2006, but I don't think they were married by Christmastime.

• Members

Yes, Nicole got to hang her ball on Christmas 1999. She also drank the whole bottle of wine that Doug and Julie brought with them from France.

They are the originals! But this Christmas episode will be the last time we see four of them.

From and interview with Greg Meng last week

"And actually, speaking of the ornaments, we were able to launch Days of Our Lives 50 Years at the Smithsonian in Washington and we donated four of the original Christmas ornaments. Those are now in the permanent Smithsonian collection, including Tom and Alice Horton’s and Mickey’s and Addie’s, so that was great."

http://booktrib.com/2015/12/co-executive-producer-greg-meng-talks-creating-days-of-our-lives-50th-anniversary-book/

• Members

As best as I can tell from the scripts, it seems that perhaps the initial 7 made their debut (Tom, Alice and their 5 kids) in 1966. In 1971, Alice then made ones for the rest of the family (Julie, Laura, Michael, etc...; there's no mention of her having made ones for characters already gone, such as Ben or Craig)   I don't have all of the scripts from the 1970's, so it's entirely possible there are more ornaments that were used that there's no photo record of, such as Julie's husband Bob Anderson.  Joshua's is pictured above. No record of Alex, but that's not to say he might not have had one for the year he and Marie reunited with Jessica in 1981-1982 (Alex is seen at a Horton Christmas in flashbacks from that time frame, so it's possible they may have used an ornament for him). I have all the Christmas episodes on tape from 1983 to the present, and the Christmas scripts from 1965-1974, so the main time frame we are currently missing is 1975-1982.  

Archived