Days: Rob Wilson Interview

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I originally thought he seemed like a massive improvement over the original Ben, but to be quite honest, the original guy was a much, MUCH better fit for the character. His acting, in hindsight, was only slightly worse, and I kind of blame the writers/dialog people for his thickheaded appearance.

• Members

On the one hand, I think it's awesome to see DAYS put a new twist on this kind of story, allowing us to know the killer's identity this early in the game, rather than doing the usual "black glove" mess, where everyone, both viewers and other characters alike, is kept in the dark until the bitter, ignoble end.  But, on the other hand, I think it's a shame that it's being wasted on an actor who, as BetterForgotten says upthread, cannot act for [!@#$%^&*].

Oh, well.  With any luck, he will go and stay gone when it's over.

I'm sure Drew Carey would have loved that as well.  (Yeah, I said it.)

• Members

I will be that guy and stick up for Rob Wilson. I did not watch what I am sure was his interminable and tiresome early tenure on DAYS as heroic Ben the cipher, but I did watch and love him on AMC 2.0, and I am enjoying him here as the clearly disturbed killer.

Wilson is very green still, but one thing I think he has always had is a surplus of charisma and charm, which masks a certain arrogance or dark anger which his Pete Cortlandt also exhibited. That character was a heartthrob and a hunk with a good heart, but he also had, like his father Palmer, a rigid conqueror side which came out when he was pushed and threatened to alienate his loved ones. This is a thread they only somewhat touched on before the show ended.

As a physical specimen Wilson is perfect, but IMO he has always been good - if untrained - at showing the dark side of perfection. Ben on DAYS is no different, and from what little I've seen I think his erratic portrayal of the somewhat deranged, arrested adolescent, weepy manchild underneath the perfect hunky surface is solid. I'm sure I'd have hated his year as the stalwart hero, though. He's more than just a Prince Charming.

• Members

Frankly, Vee, I don't see the charisma or charm or "dark anger," as you put it.  I just see a set of abs and a pair of pecs all trying to emote -- which would be fine, I guess, if this were a show on the CW.  But, hey, I won't quibble over your argument.

Archived