Coach: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Yes, it did. From 1989 to 1997. It began as a midseason replacement the very same day I was born. smile.png

Admittedly, it wasn't the same after they moved from Minnesota to Orlando, but I'd still watch it either way (unlike season 9 or Roseanne, save the final episode, and even there I still get pissed over the husband switch).

I like the idea of it being Hayden and his adopted son Timothy (well, Timothy David, who was nicknamed "T.D." as a baby, which as a football coach, Hayden liked, as it also stands for "touchdown") coaching together, as the final episode, from what I understand (I have yet to see it, but I've read about what happened before), said that Tim grew up to follow in Hayden's foot steps, which is great, but since he was born in 1997, he would only be 18. A little young to be coaching a football team laugh.png . It would be one thing if he were, say, playing for the Screaming Eagles, but unless there's some heavy duty SORAS going on, it's going to be some trick to make that make sense.

I'd love to see Clare Carey back as Hayden's daughter Kelly. I always liked her.

I can't help it, you guys, I love this show. Always have, always will. smile.png One thing I always loved is when Shelley Fabares (usually her) would say "Coach is filmed before a studio audience" before every show. Instant nostalgia bomb :) . Some of the episodes on Netflix cut it out and it's not the same :( .

Speaking of which, Golden Duck, you love this show too, get in here and fangirl with me please laugh.png .

Actually, I'm wondering: wouldn't this count more as a followup or spin-off than a reboot? A reboot implies that you're just doing the origfinal show from scratch again or something. I don't know; the word reboot just seems sort of wrong here, IMO.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope Shelley Fabares returns too (without that pink punk dye job she's been sporting for close to 20 years now).

This reminds be of the reboot trend of old shows in the 80's/early 90's : The New WKRP, The New Gidget, The New Leave It To Beaver, Adam-12, etc...

Next they will reboot ,It's a Living, Small Wonder, 9 to 5, Square Pegs etc...

• Members

I know Coach did benefit from being scheduled alongside other big hit shows, especially Roseanne and Home Improvement, but it has actually had a VERY good life in reruns since it went off the air. TBS, Nick at Nite, and WGN have each run it off and on over the years (specifically the latter), and USA aired it for quite a long time, as did the cable network Reelz. Granted, there have been other shows that have done even better in syndication, but there are also plenty that have done far worse. And the entire original series is available on Netflix, and has been for quite some time. So I don't think it's entirely fair to say that there won't be an audience who would be willing to watch it and that it can't stand on its own.

Per Wikipedia, here are the ratings for its last eight seasons (the first isn't on here due to the fact it was a midseason replacement, I'm assuming):

Season TV Season Ranking Household Rating

2 1989–1990 #18 15.65

3 1990–1991 #18 14.24

4 1991–1992 #10 15.38

5 1992–1993 #6 16.29

6 1993–1994 #6 16.39

7 1994–1995 #53 10.5

8 1995–1996 #15 12.37

9 1996–1997 #64 8.1

The reason for the drop in season 7 before going up during season 8? I'll let Wikipedia explain it:

I actually remember being in kindergarten and watching Coach before MNF that season, believe it or not. Despite the season 8 bump, though, they dropped lower that last season, but it was their ninth season and that tends to happen to most sitcoms anyway.

I know it may seem strange that I'm excited over Coach, of all things, but at the end of the day, I've always been a sitcom girl at heart. Even more than soaps, I just plain love sitcoms and game shows. And this sitcom has a special place in my heart. smile.png

And if nothing else, the football factor may help in bringing in the ratings, too, although after what happened in 1994, they may not want to schedule the show near any games anymore. laugh.png

I may have to cut a bitch if they change the theme song, though. ph34r.png

• Members

I know, I know, I'll tone it down for awhile. I don't want you guys thinking I need a psych evaluation or anything. wink.pnglaugh.png

And I understand why it's so random, Vee. For the most part, with all the reboots going on right now--in movies or TV--I've come to think it's best to leave most of the original stuff alone, but as a sitcom fan first and foremost, this makes me happy. I'd love to see most of the original cast again, if only for one episode.

But again, I'll stop for awhile until it gets closer to time. It's one thing to get excited over Twin Peaks, getting this excited over Coach will just make you guys think I'm crazy. No need for that. smile.png

ETA: And hey, it could be worse. It could be a Grace Under Fire reboot I'm freaking out over (and no, I never really watched it, so that would never happen. I'm not THAT nuts.).

• Members

I enjoyed 'Coach' too and I find Craig T Nelson to be a really magnetic performer, I have watched most of his television work for the last 25 years.

That said, it's disappointing to hear that, per the Hollywood Reporter, none of the other original cast members is expected to reprise their roles, it would be so sad for Shelley Fabares' Christine to be killed off: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/craig-t-nelson-star-coach-784791

• Members

tumblr_mqej9es6C11rqfhi2o1_250.gif

I'm done. Nope.

The part about the original cast not being there is one thing (although guest appearances would be nice--and more logical, in some cases), but I really wanted to see Shelley Fabares again. I don't know which would be worse--Christine getting killed off, or Hayden divorcing her and being married to someone else. A sick side of me wouldn't mind seeing him married to either Elaine, Robin Strasser's character, or his ex-wife, Beth, not that either would happen. Of course it would be a younger woman.

Speaking of which, any recent word on Lenore Kasdorf?

• Members

I had a feeling Shelley might not be back. I remember seeing a recent interview with her and she seems to be retired from acting. She said something like " thinking about making a series now makes me feel exhausted and want to take a nap"

• Members

I mean, I guess she could be recurring and just do an occasional home scenes with Hayden--or even just have her offscreen and have Hayden talk about her at the office or something, an occasional offscreen phone call, maybe--but that's about all I would accept if she wasn't there full time.

Any word on how SF is doing health-wise lately? I know she had surgery several years back.

Archived