Coach: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're welcome, Amy! I love that cabin, too. One of my favorite episodes is the Christmas one from season 3, where Stuart's family comes from Wisconsin to Hayden's cabin to cheer him up, since he and Christine had broken up at that point.

And then he winds up proposing to Christine at the end during her newscast, admitting that "It would really take my Christmas out of the crapper." laugh.png

It's not for everyone--a lot of slapstick comedy, especially in the early years--and I'll admit that my nostalgia goggles sometimes blinds me to some of its faults (and even though its done well in reruns, I can see how this might be an example of something making more sense as a hit when it was originally on). Some might even say it's a bit too "ordinary" for a sitcom (which I'd argue is part of the reason the news of a reboot was a shock in the first place), but it works for me, and I really do think it's a comfort food sitcom. It's clear the cast loved each other like family, and I think that came through onscreen.

I'm so happy it's on Netflix, but I really wish the rest of the seasons would be released on DVD. Only the first four are out, which I have, and I watched season 5 on Netflix and am currently on season 6, but you never know when something might disappear.

• Members

Hey, you get the Twin Peaks reboot thread, I get the Coach reboot thread. laugh.png (And I'm planning on watching the original TP on Netflix soon so I can watch the reboot--I have so many other shows I'm watching right now!).

Except if Christine is divorced from Hayden/killed off. Then I'm gone. mad.gif I understand if SF is retired and doesn't want to work anymore, but she can easily be an offscreen character.

• Members

Yes, I remember Stuart's folks dressed up like Santa and Rudolph!! (That was Charlotte Stewart, best known as Little House on the Prairie's schoolmarm Miss Beadle, playing Stuart's mom in the reindeer getup. LOL)

Coach is one of the very few shows that everyone in my family liked. My dad especially was a huge fan of the Hayden/Judy feud and the venom they always spewed at each other always had him in stitches. I wrote a letter to Pam Stone (Judy) not too long ago and she autographed a picture, made it out to my dad, "you ham-headed cretin", which was what Judy called Hayden several times. (I asked her if she would write that inscription, and she put quotes around it and a big smiley face to make sure he knew she was kidding - he got the joke and just loved it.)

How about the Burleighs? Who could forget Howard's stint on stage in Vegas with a bunch of show girls? Or Shirley (played by the eternally baby-voiced Georgia Engel) apologizing for yelling? LOL Too funny.

Howard: "She is NOT my mommy! I just call her that because she likes it."

Hayden (as Howard is leaving): "What a pantywaist."

Howard (offscreen): "SHE IS NOT!!!"

• Members

One of my favorite lines about Judy was when either Kelly or Christine told him how Judy volunteered at community center or something like that, and how the kids faces light up whenever they see her. Hayden responded with, "Yeah, it's because they think Big Bird's come to town." :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

http://tvline.com/2015/06/17/coach-bill-fagerbakke-returning-revival-nbc/

How can Hayden Fox possibly Coach football without his assistants? Fortunately, we won’t have to find out.

Bill Fagerbakke, who played special teams coach Michael “Dauber” Dybinski on the long-running ’90s sitcom, will return as a series regular on NBC’s upcoming revival, our sister site Deadline reports.

The follow-up series, which will again star Craig T. Nelson as Hayden Fox, picks up 18 years later when Hayden interrupts his retirement to become assistant coach to his own grown son, who is the new head coach at an Ivy League school in Pennsylvania that is just starting up a new team.

According to Deadline, Jerry Van Dyke may also guest-star on the revival as assistant coach Luther Van Dam. Coach will debut at midseason.

• Members

I don't know why I'm even entertaining this since I still think this is all so ridiculous, but according to the Deadline article on this they claim she may not appear due to health issues.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

He's actually turned out to be a great actor in a variety of things (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, etc.) after that dreadful early stint on AMC. He also had a funny, brief bit as one of Dorian's assistants on OLTL several years ago. At the time I didn't recognize him because he could actually act, but he's gone on to a lot of good work.

I still don't know why this show is happening, though. Also, they have apparently killed off the wife.

Archived