'Do I know you?': Soaps’ strangest recasts!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It bothered me that folks were all up in arms about Darius replacing Shemar, but not a peep when Terrell replaced Monti as David or when Jason Olive replaced Alimi Ballard as Frankie.

• Members

I didn't know that Scott was supposed to be Donna's son. I had heard that the plan was for Paulina to be Lucas and Felicia's daughter. Eventually, they decided to keep her a Cory and make Lorna their daughter. Originally, Jake found out that Ken Jordan had picked her at random from a pile of files. It was possible that she was Mac's daughter, but extremely unlikely. There was definitely an intent to defraud.

Scott LaSalle was the adopted son of Reginald Love and Mary McKinnon. Mary was played by Denise Alexander, one of the top soap stars of the era. She achieved fame on DAYS as Susan Hunter (Julie's rival) and GH as Leslie Webber. Casting her was a huge coup. Mary had amnesia and lived with the believed-dead Reginald in Paraguay for 17 years under the name Marissa LaSalle. Scott had a flirtation/quasi-relationship with Cheryl McKinnon, who was Mary's biological daughter.

Donna gave birth to twins Vicky and Marley. I am not sure how, but Reginald somehow arranged for Vicky to be adopted. Her adoptive parents died, and she was raised by Bridget Connell, her nanny. Marley was raised as Donna's sister. I don't know why Reginald wanted this, or why Donna felt the need to keep it up when Reginald was believed dead. Michael never knew about the kids. Donna didn't know that Vicky existed at the time of her birth and that she had been pregnant with twins.

Vicky and Marley were originally portrayed by Ellen Wheeler, who won an emmy, then Anne Heche, and finally Jensen Buchanan. Jensen was awarded the role over Ellen Wheeler, who tried to get the part back.

• Members

Teenager Billy sweet and naive? That's just some more of the "DT isn't fit for the role" propaganda. Billy was sweet sometimes but as a defining characteristic? No.

Talk about insane character assassination.

• Members

I never understood why Karim Prince was let go so quick after taking over as Stan Johnson. Granted I like Gomez Warren far more as Epiphany!s son but was willling to see what KP could have done with the part. Kiko Elsworth was ok but unnecessary.

And i seriously question the showrunners' decision at the time to recast the part of Justus with Monti sharp and then not writing ANYTHING for him.

• Members

Since MAB's Y&R was so fond of primetime sitcom actors, they should've recast Malcolm with another Family Matters alum, Jaleel White. At least Jaleel grew up to be gorgeous. Eddie Winslow, not so much.

• Members

Cynthia Watros did it right after leaving GL and gearing up for primetime. IIRC, her very concerned agents wanted zero publicity for her AW stint as a result. But she was a champ.

Anne Heche had actually offered to return and do the stint herself, and she had just hit it big in Hollywood at the time. Her people refused to allow her to do it.

I believe they had also tried to get Kelly Rutherford from Melrose Place as a possible recast if things had broken down with Buchanan, but the timeline on that is very fuzzy for me.

• Members

Watros did it as a favour to the Casting Director at AW at the time, Jimmy Bohr, who had previously been Betty Rea's Casting Assistant at GL and brought Watros to her attention.

NBC did promote it briefly. There were some ads where the announcer said, "She just won a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Leading Actress, so what's she doing in Bay City? Fine out this week on Another World." It was hilarious as she was only temp.

• Members

Eleni on Guiding Light. When Melina left, she took her (fake) Greek accent with her. Jennifer Roszell came in and Eleni sounded like she came from California.

I personally hated the RH recast of Joe Novak from Richard Muenz to Roscoe Born, even though it was like a year in between. I'm in the minority but I didn't find RB appealing at all, especially after the boyish good looks of RM. RB looked like a little toad to me. Plus, they made Joe more slimy.It actually started my not wanting to see RB onscreen and his playing Mitch Laurence later and dominating OLTL like some omnipotent evil demon didn't help.

Archived