Do You Think Soaps Will Return To The Glamour Style Of The 80's?

• Members

The thing is though is that during that time period nobody said, "Oh this is excessive" or "We sure are more glamorous now, in 1985, than we were in the 1970's."

It all seemed so normal and was simply normal. So trying to recapture something like that 1983 Dynasty episode where the Carringtons partied with Gerald and Betty Ford would simply be paying homage to a period in time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think there was some recognition of glamour and pushing to the limit - just comparing, say, the wardrobe and style of Dynasty with Knots Landing shows the differences in style and tone - but I agree that it was also somewhat the norm.

Soaps already spend too much time trying to replicate the worst of the 80s.

I was thinking about that dress Rihanna wore recently that got such attention, and while I can't say showing your T&A is glamour, per se, but there was a panache and soapiness about the whole thing that felt very current and yet retro at the same time.

• Members

I don't think people wearing beautiful clothes and acting on gorgeous sets will ever be out of touch. I just think that there are too many people in the business today who don't know how to do things beautifully. Not everyone can be Linda Gottlieb.

• Members

B&B is the only one that makes sense. Y&R can replicate some of that because of Jabot and Fenmores, but the focus on the Newmans - limits to business wardrode. I don't need to see a return to the 1980s - all style and no substance. Y&R was clearly a cut above the rest because they had the storylines. Today, GH & DAYS would look ridiculous trying to emulate that. Seriously, today, people consider Kim & Khloe as "glamorous." The 10s are a far cry from the 80s.

• Members

It's funny to me, looking back now at Ryan's Hope in the 70s and Another World in the 80s...to me, the 80s episodes of AW seem more dated than the earlier RH episodes. The clothes, the shoulder pads, the over-dramatics...everything looked kind of harsh and boxy. Then again, AW had more "white collar" type characters than RH did in the 70s. The RH characters wore everyday street clothes that you might still see today (well, maybe not the culottes!).

• Members

The thing is, soaps( and TV in general) were an escape from the doldrums of reality. People tuned in to see expensive clothes, cars, houses, and over the top dramatic storylines to be entertained. Now that soaps are trying to be more realistic in tone and look, it's like watching another reality show with unshaven, unkempt slobs.

• Members

They don't need to go back to the 'glam' days, but I agree it's like watching unshaven, unkempt slobs. I'm not a shallow person and think many spend too much time on how someone looks, but so many men on the soaps look terrible. Bloated, unkempt hair and they need a shave. And the lighting on soaps is not very flattering. I think the soaps need to darken their lighting just a bit, especially Days, which looks SO much better when they make it nighttime.

I can't get over how generic and cheap Y&R has become under JFP, who's the queen of production values and even when the show is [!@#$%^&*], she at least can say it looks good (I also think their music choices are terrible).

The other problem is, soaps film so far ahead now, or are rushed to film, so they don't take as much time anymore to care about the little things. And it shows.

And can DAYS please stop using that damn blue room? My God it is used for EVERYTHING.

• Members

I can't get over how bad Y&R looks either. Compared to her last three shows it looks awful. And the music is just boring. Y&R should be dramatic!

She and Guza drove me away from GH, but I would never say it was because the show looked bad.

• Members

Here's the thing, I think it can! But not all of the elements from the Glamour Style of the 80's will be utilized. Big parties and galas can still be done with great wardrobe and beautiful scenery. The problem is when writers attempt to do big parties/galas like in the 80s, they fall short with the terrible writing that has already manifested throughout the show. The pairings/couples, rivals, mystery, danger is just not there. There's no real build up or development to it where the big party/gala really showcases the interactions and far away gazes of characters. It's just like the big huge weddings of the 80's in that time, the couples that the writers have developed have not really suffered true heartache and obstacles to be together where a huge wedding is then the next step to the unrequitted love. Think about all the power couples and super couples of the 70s, 80s, and early 90s...they suffered unsurmountable obstacles to keep them apart but through the fight to be together, the big wedding was the reward. Adventures from the 80's were awesome, creative, and filled with imagination. It takes real skill to be creative like that and craft storylines to make sense and capture the imagination of fans. Let's be real! Good writing is good writing! When there is solid character development, foundation of families and characters, and of the town/city where everything takes place, IT WORKS! My believe is the Glamour style of the 80s can return, maybe not everything associated with it, but it can be modernized but still utilizing the necessary characteristics. I know when the soaps had possessed that style, the soaps seemed to possess so much of that community spirit.

Archived