Marvel's Agent Carter: Discussion Thread

• Administrator

Marvel's Agent Carter: Discussion Thread

MARVEL’S AGENT CARTER - “Marvel’s Agent Carter,” starring “Captain America’s” Hayley Atwell, follows the story of Peggy Carter. It’s 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers. Inspired by the feature films “Captain America: The First Avenger” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” along with the short “Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter.”

Starring Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter, “Marvel’s Agent Carter” was written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. Executive producers are Tara Butters, Michele Fazekas, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely, Chris Dingess, Kevin Feige, Louis D’Esposito, Alan Fine, Joe Quesada, Stan Lee and Jeph Loeb. “Marvel’s Agent Carter” is produced by ABC Studios and Marvel Television.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very pleased. I've always liked Hayley Atwell, and she was wonderful in The First Avenger - all the Marvel films from Iron Man on, with the exception of The Incredible Hulk, have been excellent, but what they did with Atwell/Peggy and the period stuff in that film was pretty fantastic.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

This was pretty enjoyable. The show sort of wants to be like The Rocketeer with a romanticized 40s filled with good music, good deco and stylish dresses but it doesn't commit fully. The swing music isn't quite Benny Goodman classic, and Peggy doesn't have the wardrobe to really highlight the style. The cars and nice but they tone down the 40sisms for the interiors so it isn't quite the stylized period piece the show wants to be,

The set up is pretty simple with all the male agents thinking Peggy can't do much beside make coffee and file, but of course she is smarter and one step ahead of all the other agents as she works covertly to crack a case they have a wrong suspect for. It's fluff but fun. Peggy can accomplish assignments with the help of knock-out lipstick and Jarvis I.

The men are a little one dimensional but I guess that is part of the charm too. I will enjoy this series as it continues.

• Members

I'm only on last week's but this show's really excellent so far. It deserves all its accolades, and the period production design is gorgeous - rivals Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy. And I love seeing Enver Gjokaj from Dollhouse (and The Walking Dead) again as the wounded ex-serviceman.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Gonna say a prayer tonight that ABC gives us another installment. Hayley was marvelous. Agent Carter was easily the best show ABC has spit out in about a decade. I don't recall liking a show on ABC this much since the first season of Desperate Housewives (didn't watch the series regularly after S1)!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived