How To Get Away With Murder: Discussion Thread

• Members

Finally finished the episode and it was good. The endings still make me sit there and go o_O even more than the actual case. I liked that she finally remembered laurel's name by the end of the episode and you most definitely have to watch out for the quiet ones. So they're saying the motive for the daughter killing the wife is that she found out that the father killed her birth mother?

I was weak at Liza's character when she was saying that she's nice and thus people think it is ok to talk to her and ask her questions.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are no flashbacks boo. There is present day (the students being hired, defending the client of the week, Violas affair, ongoing murder mystery of the student Violas husband may have been having an affair with) and then the flash FORWARDS to the night that Violas husband gets murdered, the students hiding the body, Wes/Rebecca meeting in the hotel room.

ETA: I guess the "present day" stuff could be seen as a flashback from the murder of the husband stuff, but still there are only two timelines here.

Edited by Mr. Vixen

• Administrator

Like Scandal, the case-of-the-week stuff is usually boring and the better stuff is the season arc.

There's only two timelines. The present is when the husband is dead. The past is when he's alive. I don't see how that's so confusing.

• Members

It's confusing because the "past timeline" is the main timeline. When the show catches up and forwards us to the future/general timeline people will get it more. As it stands, these "flash forwards" as they are, aren't doing too much for the story other than to shock the viewing audience with a Shonda Rhimes mandated "cliff hanger." She hasn't built the audience up to these shocking stories and as such there is little pay off other than shock value. Reminds me of Nip/Tuck in it's last seasons.

All in all I think these cases would work better if they segued some character development and made some analogies to the trials and the characters we are viewing. As it stands the characters are just there to do shady things and help guilty clients go free. There is no character study, or real internal conflict -- no bleeding to tell us who these characters truly are. It would work better if there was some kind of investment being made by these characters within these procedural episodes, otherwise there is no purpose. They started building something with that one female character who has morals, but what else is behind her? I guess we have 20+ more episodes to find out, but still.

Edited by Skin

• Members

I'm an easily confused person! In reality ish that shouldn't be confusing is to me when it comes to television. Then you have neighbor girl who seems like she can't bloody stand Wes and his attempts to try and start something up, no matter if that be friendship or something more and NG rebuffs him... then at the end of the episode she's kissing him and telling him to not leave her while in a seedy motel. You tell me that's not confusing when I don't even know when these things take place.

• Members

Second episode was good but I can see how some thought it was a retread of the first. Still though I find the legal cases to be interesting. I can't decide if I like how open and front and center the gay character is but at some parts I was little "eye rolling" cuz it seemed it was taking away from the main plot.

Agreed about the time line. I'm confused as HELL. I have no idea what's going on as far the murder mystery.

I'm gonna need them to resolve that quickly.