Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought the episode was fantastic. Loved the long scene in the end with Cookie and Lucious. I like each week we're seeing them basically falling for each other again. Terrence Howard was excellent this episode showing his admiration, adoration, etc. for Cookie.

I liked all the character development we got. We definitely learned more about Anika and her relationship with Lucious, Andre and his relationship with Lucious. Tianna grew a ton as a character.

And every week Hakeem just looks more and more ... young. He's young and cocky and I'm ready to see that come down on him at some point.

Jamal worked my nerve too a little bit in the episode but once he was down on the streets and watching his expression as the song came to him, he got me back.

I thought it was a very solid episode. Glad the ratings are stable!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The stuff with Jamal was the only weak part of the episode for me. It was just so cliched. One night in Brooklyn and suddenly Jamal's all street? Of course I have to remind myself that when episodes were filmed they didn't know if they'd even see the end of season one so they didn't have time to give us a couple of episodes of Jamal's evolution.

• Members

I agree for a slow episode it was actually satisfying and In a way its better to go this route rather than the Greys Anatomy/Scandal "OMFG" route where every week the audience is expecting some big shocking moment.

And I think differences of opinions are more than welcome so I hope no one stops posting or feels uncomfortable posting because of that....

Last night's episodes did wonders for Anika. She's still not Cookie but at least I don't loathe her anymore and like I was telling my friend she actually surprised me. I'm glad they didn't go the obvious route.

• Members

I just thought it showed Jamal trying to find something to do and get out of the apartment to clear his head. While he was walking around he got rid of the block. But then again, you might be right. They made a big deal of Hakeem not knowing how to struggle and not being about that life. Juxtapose that against Jamal being "poor" and walking the streets and seeing the sights and hearing the sounds of the people helping him out, it does come across that way.

By the way, did anyone notice the way Jamal was walking. Was he affecting some sort of "cool pose" to blend in. Trying to switch, so to speak.

• Members

I thought it was even funnier that one night and Brooklyn and he went from 'I'm going to take his empire' to dispirited apathy. I thought it was realistic and yet I was glad to see him snapping out of it.

I also didn't believe that Hakeem wouldn't have seen Lucious coming when he handed over those concert passes. It was a cute scene though and i was glad Hakeem didn't raise too much of a fuss. I also like it that Lucious has a soft spot for Becki.

• Members

Right? As soon as Hakeem gave those passes to Lucious I thought, "Child have you met your father?!" Anybody would know that those passes were gone the moment Lu got his hands on them. I like Lucious and Becki together. Conversely, I despise Porsha. I'm all for having some comic relief for Cookie to play off of but I need Cookie's assistant to at least be competent.

• Members

Taraji looked gorgeous last night!

I actually liked that song Keep It Movin' but I really live or when Yazz/Bryshere comes in and now I'm all singing his part.

Jamal, oh Jamal.... I didn't like that pity party and hopefully we see some more fun stuff from him.

I was crying at Hakeem and Camilla when Tianna walked in and she told him amateur move. All I could think about was has this boy not seen, How To Be A Player?

Edited by London