Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't mind reading spoilers on boards or in articles ahead of time but I prefer to avoid live tweeting or live blogging because I prefer not to read others' reactions before seeing it myself. I hate getting to a moment where Twitter was going "Damn! I can't believe it!" only to think "Meh." It's more about the hype factor for me. That's one reason I don't even bother reading articles about Shonda Rimes' shows anymore. They're always hyping everything as the "Most Ultimate, Jaw-dropping, OMG Moment That You'll Never See Coming!!!!"

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

After catching up with the episodes:

1. If Lee were smart, he'd take heed of what they've done to Sleepy Hollow (allowed a fail character to dominate the show at the expense of the integral (Black) characters to the show's detriment) and Grey's Anatomy (allow an egotistical actress to dictate storyline at the expense of the show's quality) and avoid those pitfalls so that Empire can enjoy a fruitful nighttime soap life.

2. Lee had better give Anika layers beyond being the 'snotty light-skinned bitch' pretty soon or else he'll be guilty of pulling the same sh!t that Tyler Perry does (relying on that tired paper-bag trope to draw his characters). Someone mentioned her and Hakeem developing a genuine rapport with one another as an organic way to get under Cookie's skin and I'd much rather see that kind of jab than what I've seen thus far.

3. Like everyone, I'm Team Jamal. My only fear is that Lee may decide to give him some sort of "edge" (IMO, make him unrootable and intolerable enough to want him off my screen) to pacify whiners a segment of the audience who complain about mythical don't care for Gary Stus.

4. I'll admit that one of the reasons why I don't care for Andre is because I'm over seeing a Black man being dominated by a white woman. It's never been a good look onscreen and it's tainting any sympathy that I could have for that character (well, that and him being the true bitch of the show instead of Jamal).

5. 3 episodes in and nope, I don't see it for Señor Baby Wipes as the titular Puffy Combs titan that Lee wants me to see him as. It doesn't help that I find him absolutely loathsome in real life, but the Lucious that should be onscreen is the dynamic and charismatic bastard (a la Puffy Combs in real life or JR Ewing in fictional land) that I should love to hate. Since Silky T has the onscreen presence of a moldy tampon, I'll forever mourn the producers letting Wesley Snipes (who would've been absolutely electric, despite Lucious being sort of a call-back to Nino Brown from New Jack City) slip through their fingers.

6. I never thought that Hakeem was as ugly as many others do (my theory for why some do is a whole other subject for another day) and am glad that they're giving him enough layers to balance out the Ike Brown mannerisms. I'm hoping that his dalliance with Queen Naomi actually delves deeper into his mommy issues and that they don't drop the ball on this.

7. Cookie J. Blige is the Queen of Wednesday night. That is all.

• Members

I think who's in charge changes depending on how Andre's bipolar disorder is manifesting. We've seen that he has issues taking his medication so I think that when it's well-managed they're equal partners. When he's off his meds Rhonda has to yank his...chain to keep him in line.

• Members

I really like Grace Gealey in that last clip. I hope they give Anika a little more.

I had a place bigger than Jamal's new one when I first moved to New York. Granted, I was way down deep in Brooklyn near Coney Island and his foolish ass is probably trying to stay in Manhattan. Rookie mistake!

Edited by Vee