Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yep. I think the writing team has managed to hit on universal themes that can appeal to almost anyone. It shouldn't be so easy to root for a woman who went to prison for drug dealing and a man who is a child abuser and a killer. Damned, if I'm not rooting for both of them in different ways though.

• Members

I like what I've seen of Black-ish and want to catch up on it sometime. But that being said, one "black" show on another network doesn't owe the other a timeslot. It reminds me a little of the aggressively condescending Salon(?) piece someone wrote about Leslie Jones on SNL a while back, which seemed to want to root for her yet expected her to represent the entire race in one night on live TV, and called her a failure for not doing so (she wasn't).

Edited by Vee

• Members

It reminds me of people complaining when Body of Proof was put up against The Good Wife. I believe even the stars felt like one female driven show was being pitted against another.

Yeah, or worse, living in a $700 studio apartment (kidding). None of these characters are here for that. They all want a piece of the big time, which is what makes this so fun.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

IIRC, the ILC reboot got scrapped by FOX at the last moment after a pilot presentation and some sort of drama with the Wayans brothers. I don't know the details - they had a cast and a lot of stuff done, and then boom, it wasn't going.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Moving Black-ish makes sense.

It minimizes potential audience overlap with Empire & gives Black-ish an opportunity to anchor a potential comedy block on another night.

Moving Black-ish & Fresh Off The Boat to Friday with Cristela & Last Man Standing as a reboot of TGIF would solve everything.

Edited by DeeeDee