Writer's Strike Changes?

• Members

With all this talk of the writers strike that Tomlin went FiCore for OLTL during, it got me thinking about what stories happened during writers strikes in the past and what changes were made to existing stories/characters.

I remember hearing that Jesse Hubbard being killed on AMC was one story that happened during a writers strike.

What others do you remember?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On GH, the serial killer storyline that claimed Georgie. Emily, etc was going to claim some different victims and was going to be a different killer. I can't remember which characters, but it was reworked by JFP and Garin Wolf.

Also, I have read in the past that Blake on Guiding Light was a different character until Pam Long returned during the late 80's strike and made her Roger and Holly's child.

• Members

Ryan's Hope had a 1981 storyline involving Rae Woodard's spoiled brat daughter having an affair with Rae's boytoy, Michael Pavel. During the strike, those in charge had Rae confront them on her houseboat, leading Michael to try to kill Rae in a struggle. Kimberly shot him dead, and there was a story about Rae taking the rap for her (and endless flashbacks of Rae seeing Kimberly bleat, "MAMA! MAMA!")

Claire Labine was very unhappy about this, as she had planned nothing about Michael being killed off.

Sad to say that I thought the strike writers did a better job with Delia than Claire Labine had in some time.

They also had Faith actually trying to help a teenage alcoholic instead of sitting around bitching and whining. Sad to say that didn't last long post-strike.

• Members

The writers' strike made a hash out of GL's Sonni/Solita storyline, which was already a hash as it was. I know some have said the strike improved it, I don't know. The story made little sense (Robert Newman said about ten years later that people still came up to him asking him to explain the plotline). I think it was the strike period that went into the period where Will Jeffries lost his memory and became "good," and Sonni got her split personality, Solita.

I believe it was Search for Tomorrow that, supposedly, in the 1981 strike, was taken over by an actor who was about to be fired from the show pre-strike, and he ran roughshod during his time as 'writer.'

OLTL's Wild West storyline was extended for several months during the 1988 strike, which Paul Rauch later said wasn't a great idea, I believe.

• Members

Also on "Ryan's Hope," Kimberly was suddenly five or six months pregnant despite the fact she had been in the hospital on two occasions during the supposedly length of her pregnancy (once for hypothermia and once when she was slipped a drug at a party).

During the same strike, Jason Aldrich was killed off on "The Doctors" by a crazy brother-sister duo who had been on the show for the past few months. The crazy brother ended up raping Nola after marrying him and Nola himself. I'm not sure this was how the original writers intended for this story to wrap up.

I think Mignon Sentell was quickly dispersed with on "Search for Tomorrow." Didn't Don Chastain dump the brother of his character in a messy surgery scene where Chastain was the star? Or was that simply urban legend?

• Members

I'd forgotten about the pregnancy and how fast it was. Geez. Now that I can understand a writer getting pissed off about.

I'd heard about Chastain but not the part about his character's brother. Wow.

Was Mignon the one burned in a fire?

A few years back I put an article in the Santa Barbara thread where the then-headwriter spoke about stories that the strike killed or confusing stories during the strike - the nun they brought in was supposed to be Mason's love interest, but during the strike someone cast a deaf actress and they didn't see her as a suitable love interest. There was also a confusing storyline with Cain and a young Asian woman who had a thing for him, but was his long-lost daughter, but was actually just pretending to be his long-lost daughter...? The headwriter also said she wasn't happy with Gina and Keith's wedding.

Vietnam war conflicts seemed to be in vogue for that strike, as AW was full of some convoluted, messily acted storyline involving a woman named Chris who worked in construction with John, flirted with him, then claimed he'd been sexually harassing her. After she kidnapped Donna and Michael's adopted son, Mikey, viewers learned that she'd lost her husband and child during the war, and had snapped.

I also remember an episode where the Dirty Dancing troupe stopped in Bay City and, this being a time of no real storylines, had two or three extended numbers.

I think this was also when Matt was trying to help his friends - a drug addict and the addict's sister (Gabrielle Carteris), both of whom vanished right after the strike ended.

I think one of the magazines at the time claimed DAYS was going to bring in a gay character, which didn't happen because of the strike.

• Members

I loved what Garin Wolf did during the strike. He managed to introduce the character of Ian Devlin in such a way that its like Guza was pissed off that he did a better job than him introducing a compelling vilain. Its a shame what was done later on because i remember liking GW's take on Ian with Sam and with Leyla.

I remember that Logan was supposed to be the killer when it came down btwn him and cooper then the whole thing was reworked and diego became the guilty one.

• Members

RH-1981 strike: I think during the writer's strike they wrote off Jack's love interest, the PI lady. Not sure if that was the plan or not.

GL- 1988 strike: Blake was supposed to be another character altogether, but the strike happened before she was introduced.. and she was making mysterious phone calls and walking around the park alot in angst. When Long came back, she intended to carry this forward but the scabs had no idea who she was calling nor why she was walking around the park alot. Per a suggestion from Curlee, she made Blake a Thorpe.

ATWT- 1988 strike.. I remember Marland was upset that the scab writers burned through months of story outlines in a matter of weeks. I recall that there was a mysterious woman Laura that Bob rescued in a park. It looked like she was starting to show interest in Tom, then all of a sudden became obsessed with Bob and killed Kim's boss then tried to kill Kim and Bob. I often wonder if the fatal attraction story was suppose to be Tom and the scabs switched it to Bob.

AMC- 1988 strike.. Jesse was killed, Natalie and Palmer hid Silver's body while Travis staged his own kidnapping and Skye became an anti-AIDS fenetic that pretended to be in a coma to hold onto Tom.

• Members

Here is who went fi-core back in 2008

http://variety.com/2008/scene/news/wga-reveals-fi-core-writers-1117984266/

Listed for the WGA West: Maria Arena Bell, Marlene Poulter Clark, John F. Cosgrove, Paula Cwikly, Barbara Esensten, Jeanne M. Grunwell (Ford) , Dena Higley, Mark Christopher Higley, Meg Kelly, Michelle Poteet Lisanti, Terry A. Meuer, Shawn Morrison, James E. Reilly, John Ridley, Hogan Sheffer, John F. Smith, Darrell R. Thomas Jr., Gary Tomlin, Janine Vogelaar and Garin Wolf.

Listed for the WGA East: Priscilla Kay Alden, James Harmon Brown, Michael Conforti, Victor Gialanella, Josh Griffith, Frances Myers and Pete T. Rich.

• Members

I forgot about their writing out Rose. I hated that and hated her exit (leaving town to go into hiding - ugh...and sure enough, never mentioned again).

They did switch that Laura story very quickly. The whole thing was absurd (I remember the climax being her having freakouts in the Hughes living room and threatening to stab herself or someone with scissors - this got worst story of the year from SOD).

Was Skye made into an anti-AIDS crusader by the strike? I thought that was already going on. Do you know if they already planned to write Silver out?

• Members

All I can think of off the top of my head was that wasn't it during the writer's strike that OLTL Adriana turned into what would become Bitchy Bangs (who I loved; embracing the fact that she was DORIAN'S DAUGHTER) and RC just ran with it once he came back.

Archived