On-Air On-Soaps Names The Best and Worst Of 2013

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally, I expected Michael to get a little criticism over these, but come on people. Days can't win every award... lol

I think General Hospital's honor is well deserved. The "Mommy's Here" scene ranks up there with "Clink Boom" and "LAURA!!!!" as scenes that are iconic in GH history. Now we'll see how the 51st year goes.

Y&R would have been my most disappointing soap, mainly for the behind the scenes stuff more than anything else.

• Members

Some things I agreed with, some things I didn't, lol.

I am totally, violently AGAINST his call to get rid of Hilary on Y&R. Hilary is giving me life at the moment! I love watching her and her story unfold. I guess Fairman would prefer Mishael Morgan join the 100+ cast of GH and play yet another recast sister of Felix? An identikit AA who pops up every 3 months to snarl "hilarious" zingers in Felix's direction and give TJ and Molly a reason for being? NO THANKS. Hilary and MM are the epitome of what Y&R is doing right at the moment. Hope JFP doesn't listen to this.

P.S.: I can't wait for Nelson Branco's 25 page 18-font Best & Worst List. If you think categories like Best Use of Baked Goods are bad...

• Members

I thought OLTL started out the stronger of the two, really incredible, then it meandered in the middle and then recouped near the end. It was doing more character building with the ensemble than the show had done in maybe the last decade on ABC, but for a period there, because of the 2-episode schedule, you would have weeks of almost nothing but character vignettes, and that's not what the show needed. There was very little that I thought was bad, and a lot of it very necessary, but I did find some of it pretty slow and at times repetitious. During that time Kelley Missal was really carrying the show. In the last four to six weeks, IMO, it recovered. In the larger scheme of an actual soap opera, that kind of brief blip is nothing provided they had been on a 4 or 5-day schedule and year-round. The actual amount filmed was maybe 8 to 10 weeks of air shows. But with a show with an uncertain future and growing pains, it looked like a lot more than it was. I shake my head when people say the show was so strange and unrecognizable - I saw many, many really bad stretches on OLTL in Malone II, Higley, Carlivati in that same brief interval of time in the last decade, but we don't remember those because they came and went, as those valleys do on soaps.

AMC started slow but good, then IMO maintained a baseline of absolute quality - a great balance of plot and character - from the moment Michael Nader returned, approximately. It was fantastic.

Archived