Another Y&R actor out??

• Members

Now there are many elements that I would love to see from the '80s and 90s replicated and brought into the 21st century (complete storytelling, e.g.) but making rapists and terrorists into romantic heroes is not one of them. Some soap fans need to leave those types of stories and characters back in the 1980s and '90s. Society has changed since then. Even what society expects from its entertainment has changed.

I guess we shouldn't wonder why the daytime drama genre remains on the fringes. I'm trying to figure out who is the most fanatical in their devotion...Duck Dynasty fans or some soap fans?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is exactly what I think too. I also think we would be very surprised at who these stans are. Meaning I think they are not unemployed people living in their mommas basement.

I suspect people are concerned about MM's family because he mentioned them specifically in that interview and fans may have misunderstood what he meant. I don't think he meant that he was financially concerned for them though. I'm sure them fallout from this situation is not going to be easy on them.

• Members

I think it's the writers who need to do that before fans can. Right now we have RC trying to recreate Todd on GH. Adam had a lot of potential on Y&R. Long term fans like myself waited years for that character to show up. The writers would even have Nick goad Victor about the son he abandoned now and again. Then when he did show up, the story we got was one of the most putrid and vile I can ever remember seeing on daytime. It made absolutely no sense to make a psycho out of a character that could have shaken up the Newman dynamic. SO disappointing...

• Members

Ain't that the truth! You just knew he would show up one day and it would cause explosions. Unfortunately, it happened after the creative team that made Y&R what it was all left and/or was fired. I do have to say that, initially, it looked as if they were somewhat getting it right. Adam was so caught between his two "sides," Victor and Hope, and it could have worked. But then....

And thank you for calling him a psycho! Because that's exactly what he is. If his name was anything other than Newman, he would have been written out years ago.

• Members

That's a good point.

I do think that fans who excused the Adam who seduced an unknowing lawyer, terrorized a woman into miscarriage and disposed her fetus in a fireplace (who did the same with dead Delia's scarf) and projected his 'romance' with mentally unstable Sharon as some epic love story also have a hand in sustaining the garbage. The writers are responsible for trotting out such nonsense but they aren't the ones voting en masse for magazine's Soap Couple of the Week polls (or whatever it's called) and going to Facebook/Twitter and probably CBS website to write odes to the dysfunctional coupling.

We've established that there are no Bill Bells among this current group, so it follows that these writers are susceptible to flattery and endless tweets. Bill Bell Sr. wouldn't have given a sh*t because even though he wasn't perfect, he was confident in his abilities as a storyteller and he knew what stories he wanted to tell and how to go about telling them. Can we really say the same for most of the writers on today's soaps?

Even though I'm not a regular viewer of GH, from what I've gleaned, it appears that RC laps up the attention he gets on social media. He seems particularly vulnerable to play to his coterie.

As an aside,

I too thought the Adam character was wrecked when he started gaslighting Ashley and jamming needles into his eyes. Those types of characters used to have a short shelf life. If they were lucky they'd occasionally show up, bringing with them a world of trouble.

Sheila seduced and tricked Scott and Eric but I don't think even her most ardent fans could ever describe Sheila as a romantic heroine (at least not with a straight face).

Adam needs to stay off the canvas for a minimum of 16 months. Jail or on the run. I personally wouldn't mind seeing him off the canvas for at least 2 or so years, if at all.

• Members

Yes! Michael went to jail for YEARS and he was always a town outcast until LML turned him and Kevin into romantic heroes. As I've mentioned before, Victor didn't meat Michael until 1998, because there had to be a realistic reason for them to know each other. It wasn't that people were on story islands, but Y&R focused on so many different ages and social groups and there were enough characters to interact with each story level. Adam would've been fine as a pure villain who did his dastardly deeds and was written off. Other than the lack of talent, the main reason I've never cared about Michael Muhney is because Adam should've been written out YEARS ago. It doesn't matter who is playing him or what he did behind the scenes, he shouldn't be there. Period. Same for Patty. She was a good villain IMO, but they didn't know when to leave well enough alone and write her ass out.

• Members

Point taken. I was just sayin that I have certainly watched a hell of alot of distasteful storylines since 1974... that's all. I'm not making excuses for Muhney, of course, if these allegations are true, which they probably are, he's OUTTA HERE. I don't see them firing him without concrete proof of whatever it is, because they would open themselves up to a law suit... but on the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time they foolishly fired someone in the middle of a cycle (Dickson) and left themsleves open to litigation.

• Members

To be perfectly honestly, count me among those who prefer that Adam be written out indefinitely for the foreseeable future.

If Y&R needs a romantic hero, they can start building up Stitch's character, he's a fresh blank slate. Ian Ward is coming so, they can have a momentary baddie and then let Ward exit. I really wasn't watching when Colin Atkinson came to town but he probably has less baggage than Adam--Colin can be the resident 'grey' character that soap fans are always going on about. We've already discussed Dylan as Nick's rival (nevermind the fact that it's not taking off) and thorn in Victor's side.

There's little to no need for Adam at this time.

• Members

I can't even say Patty was a good villain. The entire story was a disaster.

I think that soaps in general have been extremely regressive on all fronts in the last twenty years. When people talk about Roger Thorpe and how someone like that shitstain Todd Manning is the new Roger, or Adam is the new Roger, I assume they never actually watched any of Roger's stories or how he was treated by the town. Roger was never a hero. Roger was never fully forgiven. Roger was always haunted by what he did.

Most importantly, the people who hated Roger were not written as being bad people for hating him. There was no endless chatter about how anyone who refused to bow down to him was a "hypocrite," or "self-righteous."

Even on Y&R, if you compare how Victor was written for Bell's run and how he was written starting after Bell became too ill to keep on, it's like night and day.

Once you get past a bunch of loud moans and groans of pleasure from a small circle jerk of people, the "bad boys" of today's soaps are worthless to the canvas. What story did Adam bring in the last five years? Were there any that did anything to help the show, or to help any other characters?

I feel like I spent five years watching someone take an eye test.

Archived