DAYS timeslot change in Chicago

• Members

After over 14 years airing at 1pm CST (with a few months at 2pm in 2007 right before Passions was cancelled), Days of Our Lives is moving back to 11am starting next Monday on WMAQ Channel 5 Chicago. I know it aired here for many years at 11am before the AW/Passions switch in July 1999 when Days moved to 1pm.

I'm surprised they're moving the time slot after all these years. Considering it's the 3rd largest market, wonder if it'll affect numbers. (Side note: perfect timing that they're doing their book tour in Chicago this weekend!)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Windy City Live used to be at 9, but when Kelly and michael moved to ABC... they were given the prime 9 AM time slot and Windy City live was moved to 11-12 PM. So ABC used to have news from 11 to 12.. so they ended up putting the anchor and metreologist on during Windy City Live now so yes.

• Members

Last week, Robert Feder's website reported that the ratings are down, at least for the later morning hours, at ABC/WLS. The WGN Morning News, newly expanded until 10 am, was also down.

The only time slot benefiting from all this juggling was the WGN Midday News at 11am and that was up a lot.

• Members

I wonder how Guiding Light did airing in the 9AM timeslot?

I myself have finally got a little back into Days again for the first time since that disaster of a reboot that made me quit. I remember after Passions' left NBC Days lost some numbers due to the fact a number of NBC O&O's moved the show to a different timeslot.

• Members

I don't mind Days being moved within the daytime hours.. I don't think it's that rare for affiliates to move it around every few years or so within daytime ( I know here in Nashville Days moved up an hour from 2pm to 1pm in fall 2012 so our local affiliate could accommodate "Katie") As long as Days is airing in the hours of 11a-4p It doesn't stress me out... It only stresses me when they move it to the midnight hours (as in Salt Lake City) or to another affiliate, such as the CW (in Las Vegas).

• Members

I can't imagine GL did well at 9am up against the mighty O, her hometown. It was my understanding, through previous articles I read, that the ABC affiliate in Chicago (WLS) was top dog all day long. Even Loving got higher numbers against Y&R at 11am (back when Y&R came on a half-hour earlier), if I remember correctly. I also read a quote saying GH killed GL in the 2pm time slot. I never heard if its 9am time fared any better.

• Members

When I lived in Chicago a couple of decades ago it aired at 11a but when I visit back there in recent years I noticed it airing at 1pm.

Since there's history there with the 11am timeslot for DAYS I think the ratings in that market will be stable. I think they have to go against Y&R for the last half-hour, Windy City Live, and WGN News which I read somewhere that the ratings had gone up since ABC got rid of their news program for WCL. This actually might be good for DAYS in Chicago where its away from the popular General Hospital. Traditionally the ABC soaps are the most popular in Chicago and I have to imagine that General Hospital maybe beating it everyday is something WMAQ is trying to avoid as its competition sued to be As the World Turns and One Life to Live there.

Archived