Michelle Stafford interview in SOD about her Y&R exit

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Drunk off her own success of running [!@#$%^&*] in the past. MS probably thought she had more power than she did. Didn't she keep VR out and run MW off?! I am surprised Sony sided with JFP myself. They must have been tired of her antics too.

• Members

Digest: How would you feel if the show recast you?

Stafford: You know what? Let's be honest with this. I absolutely think they will if they haven't already done it. They are just going to be quiet about it. And I say this because the character is so instrumental in the show, and I really, really take it as a compliment that they don't want to lose the character. The character of Phyllis is such a driver of people's stories. She is so instrumental in how they are writing the story now, very instrumental in Jack's life, Avery's life, Summer's life and Nick's life. Phyllis created conflict. This is a soap opera. As a producer, I see how they can't lose the character. I'm pretty sure they will recast. They may, as a courtesy, ask if I wanted to come back; I don't know, they may not. It's okay with me. It doesn't matter because I am done. I'm completely done. And I'm not upset if they recast, I totally would understand. Even when I called Angelica [McDaniel, head of CBS Daytime], I said, 'You will probably recast.' And she said, 'No, no, no. We won't recast.' And I said, 'Well, I have some ideas, if you are interested.'

This comes off as very defensive rather than her "taking the high road" to me. And I remembered this 7/15 Michael Fairman/Sharon Case interview. Was the digest interview conducted before or after the Fairman interview?

How do you feel about Michelle Stafford (Phyllis) leaving the show? You two have had a lot of amazing scenes over the years!

SHARON:

We have had a lot of amazing scenes! I remember I was in Paris not that long ago and they were showing me what episode was airing there. It was Phyllis and Sharon arguing in one of their typical fights in the Restless Style office, back when Sharon was working there, and Sharon was married to Jack. I thought, “That really brings me back. We really had a lot of stuff!” There was so much that I forgot a lot of it! I think the triangle of Sharon/Nick/Phyllis went on for a very long time. It was a fantastic triangle. But eventually these triangles end, and they eventually move on to some new triangle. What I think was we sort of merged out of that to the Nick/Sharon/Adam triangle. We just barely merged in to that, but I see that is the triangle that is coming for the future. Before Sharon/Nick/Phyllis, it was Sharon/Nick/Grace, and people loved that one! Those things last for a period of time and then you move on to the next one, and then the next one is even bigger and better. I think, as far as the Phyllis character, I think that maybe that character has played this part of its storyline out. If the character were to come back for any reason, I don’t know if it would be the same storyline, as now this is moving in a direction and progression that the show has to take. The show has to keep moving. But once you get a really good triangle, it’s good to stick with them. We usually do stick with them for four or five years, or more. I am excited about where the storyline is going now.

Does it seem as if MS is addressing what SC said?

Whatever the reason (maybe it's just ME thinking MS sounds defensive) for the "tone" in the interview, I am sure it was quite a change for MS to go from being on almost everyday to being on half as much. I know I was getting so tired of seeing Phyl everyday, even though I always liked MS. And again maybe this is just me too, but MS seemed to take on a harder edge onscreen and off. And I noticed this after she tweeted that her sister was finished with chemo. Who knows, she may have taken a turn for the worse and if that is it the case, then I am sorry for speculating that it was all Y&R related.

• Members

Agreed. I think MS thinks her character is more important than she actually is. Her only tie to the canvas/core family is her daughter, who is now grown and can exist without her because she is a Newman or Abbot. Summer has more than enough people to interfere in her life without a mother. Lily has existed successfully without one for over 7 years. So whatever!

• Members

The parallels you draw are very interesting and it does read in a different light when you put the two quotes side by side like that.

I think her sister's cancer was definitely a turning point in deciding to make a break with Y&R. Apparently she says as much in the SOD article. As Josh Morrow indicated in an interview just after the news came out, she'd been unhappy at Y&R for a while, but her sister's battle gave her impetus to up and quit.

It's been interesting to note from MS's twitter -- ever since Morrow appeared on The Talk with Case talking about Shick being the endgame... followed by Stafford's own dramatically passive-aggressive tweet in response -- that she stopped tweeting Josh M, Eric Braeden and others from the show. Even the Y&R hair and make-up people with whom she had always been tight.

She started tweeting a lot more about raising money to combat cancer around this time. A lot of reminders about "recognizing the important things in life." I personally think reaching out to Victoria Rowell, and then VR going public with that reconciliation, underscored just how isolated MS got from the Y&R cast and crew. Maybe she needed to make amends with somebody who had already been there. JMO.

• Members

I haven't read the article but I've read that she said Y&R didn't try to convince her to stay...?

It seems to me that SC's future on the show could be considered "iffy" given the current SL. And if they put Sharon and Adam back together, I honestly would not care if they let her go, as much as I like the actress and have always liked the character (until MAB's SLs). If she has been set up by Victor (replacing her meds), maybe - maybe JG could make her likeable again, but not if they are going to pair her with Adam. I would then agree with what SC said about MS - "I think that maybe that character has played this part of its storyline out."

• Members

If she wasn't in contract negotiations (I don't know if she was or wasn't), and she decided to quit after being unhappy with SLs and profoundly affected by her sister's struggle, wouldn't she call someone? Are you saying you are wondering why she called AM instead of JFP?

• Members

But VR wasn't really disliked by anyone but MS, PB, and CK, if you believe the rumors. But I get where you are coming from with this. I consider MS a wise and intelligent person for recognizing that people were doing to her what she had done to someone else. Mad respect for that. Because a lot of times, people will think/justify their behavior as different. But I think she sees the similarities. Good for her.

Archived