2013 Daytime Emmy's Thread: Before, During, & After

Nate4

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just found out the episode DAYS submitted was near the tail end of the previous McPherson/Thomas writing regime. Credit to them too then. Also may explain why Corday didn't thank writers -- may have been awkward.

But I still think the new team is doing great as well! And next year's Emmys should confirm it as well!

• Members

I saw a video of Chandler Massey answering questions from press after the Emmys ... Not a definite spoiler but he basically says what he is probably going to do when his contract is up. Such a good head on his shoulders. See video and further description between spoiler tags.

He says some touching stuff about his dad too. He's so humble and real, not celebby.

• Members

OMG. I watched. That was a very disorganized, messy broadcast. Embarrasing!

The good. I enjoyed the little montage w/all the Daytime diva legends. I love that these outlets continue to use that classic clip of Erica from shows last year on ABC. "I'm Erica Kane, damnit!" Love. What a fantastic Erica/Kendall scene. I still can't believe Kreizman/Swajeski didn't take advantage of Erica taking a swig from that bottle!

Every person from CBS deserved their award and I think anyone who's saying the show was "rigged for the bells" or "What about ABC/DAYS?! sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png" obviously either didn't watch the cbs soaps last year, particularly B&B, to see how substantially higher in quality (acting & production-wise) it was over the rest, or they're just bitter haters! Sorry not sorry.

I'm stunned Susan Flannery & Jacqui Mac didn't win. Congrats to Heather Tom though. Kristen Alderson winning was a total travesty and her comment about Chad being the love of her life was disgusting. I hope their relationship burns FAST. UGH.

What did Julie Berman submit? I was shocked she won. I've always been a fan - I thought she deserved all of her Emmys prior to this, especially the first one - But I thought KKL or Ari Zucker had this one in the bag! Darn!

Giada De Laurentis was absolutely horrendous. Seriously. Oh my God. I was beyond embarrassed watching her. Couldn't believe they had her do more interviews after that abomination w/Clifton & Miller. OMG!

I loved how many times AMC was promo'd throughout the broadcast biggrin.png Nice, PP.

Congrats to Chandler, he's the only actor's performance I was familiar with, but I still stand by my opinion he is/was overrated!

I was pleasantly surprised by DAYS' win. LOL, MarDar slyly get another surprise win in for the show after they're fired. Ken's speech was touching. I fear this means nothing will change on the show any time soon though; Personally, I'm not a fan of the direction It's going in right now. I just don't see what's so great about it.

I totally thought B&B was going to take it though. I'm just glad GH didn't win. The show was TERRIBLE & HIGHLY OVERRATED last year IMO. It just gets worse.

There was no excuse for the sloppy camera work, shoddy editing, bad sound quality, mics going out, awkward pauses, time running through, etc, etc w/these Emmy's...they had more than enough time to get this together!

• Members

I was only concerned that there needed to be reforms if there was a Bell sweep, which by the end of the night there clearly wasn't.

What's good about DAYS includes the character-driven focus; the layers and subtext to all characters and scenes; the pacing of stories across weeks and months; the cliffhangers between episodes; the interweaving of stories, cross-canvas interaction, and sense of community; the transitions between one arc of a story to the next; the structure of the scripts, scenes, and dialogue; the quality of the acting (aside from Drake Hogestyn); the WilSon story, with its social relevance; and a generally optimistic, uplifting tone ... The complexity of Nick Fallon and Kristen DiMera ... The talent of the younger set ... OMG I could go on and on.

DAYS is pretty much old-school emotional and community soap right now, with a positive outlook, and even somewhat cerebral -- what I call "P&G-style" in feel and wouldn't even be completely counter to something Irna Phillips would want from soaps. Characters are neither all good nor all bad, but all somewhere in between. Characters talk about what they want and why, and we see why and when they might change their mind. They have moral dilemmas, make decisions that lead to consequences. And they do all that without sacrificing excitement and suspense too.

• Members

Between Kristen Alderson, Filler Miller, JMB, and Chandler Massey, this may be one of the worst acting years ever for these awards.

I'm very happy Doug Davidson won (what's wrong with his voice? It's been like this for a while), and Heather Tom (missed that part of the show).

NLG's comedy sketches, all the comedy sketches, were chopped to pieces. No idea what was going on. The only one I laughed at was CLB and Dr. Drew, then the one where Alex Trebek pushed the waiter into the pool.

Was Dr. Oz making stinkfaces about Betty White? I don't care for him.

Who was that female host with the fake teeth and the robotic demeanor?

Happy for DAYS, they deserved it. And very happy that hack Carlivati won nothing. I hope that some of the stenos who fawn at every turn were chewing their cheeks at that.

I thought the speech was probably one of the better parts of the night.

That Monty Hall flub was so embarrassing :(

• Members

I'm not sure. It's not as if the soaps that were canceled won Best Show that often in recent years. The ones that tend to trade wins off are still around. The soap "press" talks about how GH is the best ever and nothing in daytime can compare, past or present. B&B has done well at the awards in the last decade. Y&R usually does well. DAYS is sort of the other soap. I was shocked they won.

I forgot to say I liked the AIsha Tyler moment too.

Still annoyed Arianne Zucker lost to the frozen face with the kewpie doll hair.

• Members

Tons of pictures and videos on Twitter of actors celebrating and partying after Emmys (Chad Duell;s Twitter has some hilarious stuff with Eddie Alderson), tweets of actors congratulating each other, Alison Sweeney being so happy for Ken Corday and going out to meet with her showmates to celebrate (she wasn't at the Emmys -- and she's directing the episode of Days that tapes tomorrow) ... Lots of reactions to winners, like OLTL cast (Kassie DePaiva, Andrew Trischitta, Robin Strasser, that I know of) congratulating Kristen Alderson ... Press reacting to winners ...

Check it all out on Twitter! If there's anyone anyone wants to know about specifically, I can paste some links.

Archived