• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As for the notion of moving, Prospect Park shouldn't seriously consider that, since most states that are used for filming are unionized. Most of the right to work states are below the Mason-Dixon line or in the Plains or Mountains.RTWStates1.jpg

• Members

Vee you've talked me off the ledge. Thank you for all your rationalness in this thread. With AMC, I can totally think logically and have a business head but when it comes to OLTL, I revert to the first grader who was so excited to get strep throat every winter so that I could get a full week of Todd Manning and Dorian.

I don't think they want to leave Stamford. I think they're puffing that at the union. I think this actually could be resolved if (and huge IF) PP takes the initiative, stops leaking things/talking and enters productive talks with the union. I don't think the union is looking to shut down production and lost the jobs permanently (but the week/ten day shut down is probably fine with them) and I don't think PP wants to throw in the towel yet so I'm moderately hopeful.

I look forward to how Cady mcClain attempts to shepherd us through this one.

This is all my fault. I was the one who posted last week that we got through a week without any PP craziness. Well I will never try to be Prospect Park Pollyanna again.

• Members

I'll believe it when it's settled and not before. You can't take your eyes off these people for a minute. I long for the dream of a day where we can look back on all this in a year or two and laugh at the ridiculous mess. I have absolutely no expectation that that will happen, but it's a nice dream.

I am not saying it's a done deal and everything's going to be fine, because I don't have any assurance of that. I think it can be fine, but I suspect the question is if PP is willing to step up to their part of the problem. Which is no guarantee of anything. I hope so, though. And whatever happens, I've gotten a lot more than I expected.

• Members

Except the wages all those people are earning a lot higher than $1 an hour. They are undertaking a new endeavor where there is no proven path to turning a profit. The unions can work against its own member and try to bleed the production dry (as all the entertainment unions do) or they can give these people a chance to perhaps to find the way to quality professional content online when your name is not netflix.

I don't know the current minimum wages for grips and lighting people in this union, but I can tell you about the bullshit Broadway union where the show is forced to hire a lighting guy, and the theater is forced to hire a lighting guy and all the theater's lighting guy has to do is come in and turn on the lights so the show's lighting guy can take over. For that he is paid a full union salary and as the guy I knew who had that job, he would then leave the theater and go work a second job at another show. But he was paid for a full shift as per union requirements.

We can cling to utopian ideals where the unions are fighting for the little guy against the evil magnates of 1910 but that isn't the situation here.

Archived