Y&R Paternity Spoiler

• Members

that's nice sentiment, but not always the case. At the end of the day it's all about a steady paycheck + keeping it interesting/FRESH. If you ask any actor/actress @ Y&R who's material they would LOVE to act, I'd bet you dollars to donuts it would be Phyll/Adam/Sharon's stuff. It just has more depth/meat to it than the day-to-day doldrums stuff. Real life isn't black or white... why should soap characters be portrayed as such?

there is a lot of gray, and this paternity SL is going a loooooooong way to humanize characters like Nick, who have always been too damn 'mr. perfect' and self-righteous to be relatable.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you serious? Sure actors want juicy stories, but they also want stories that make sense. This is nonsensical. I still don't understand why Sharon has been sleeping with random men for money and became a prostitute over night. Was that explained? Is she still having an issue with her bipolar disorder, I thought they said the meds and therapist had taken care of that? So why is she all of a sudden a hooker obsessed with Nick?

This is all stupid. I'm all for "characters making things happen" but this just seems like a silly plot for plot's sake that has nothing at all to do with the actual character. It's the EXACT SAME THING that MAB did. It's not at all different from when Sharon was randomly stealing elephants and necklaces and sleeping with Jack, Nick and Billy at the same time (and it's not different from all of the random, nonsensical crap that MAB wrote for Adam). Her motivation for it all just stinks and we are WAY WAY beyond the point where we can blame this on Cassie's death. Nick and Sharon can only use that crutch for so long to excuse their crappy behavior.

Sharon is boring now. Even her crazy isn't fun crazy like Sheila crazy, it's old tedious crazy that's eventually going to lead to her getting in over her head and some man (probably either Nick or Adam) rushing to her rescue. You know how long we've been seeing this same story with her? Like 7 years, I'm over it. She's still the eternal and perpetual victim, before it was because Cassie died, now I guess they think they can excuse all of her damn behavior because she's bipolar. Nope. Doesn't work for me.

Frankly, I think MS leaving is good (though I do hope she comes back down the road), I needed a break from Phyllis, but I'd love it if we could get a long damn break from Nick, Sharon, Billy, Victoria, Adam and Dylan (just because he's dull as dirt) while we're at it.

• Members

Nick, the waffling cheating dog with little to no backbone is seen as perfect? Now i know you must be joking. If he is not relatable, its not because people think he is perfect.

While I am well aware that actors like juicy material, they don't want the character disrespected. I distinctly remember Maura West's comments on how Diane was written. She didn't like it.

• Members

He's got a point though (dio)....some of the best actresses or the most popular could still take what was given to Sharon over the years and still maintain a loyal fanbase and knock it out of the park.

Granted she's been a hot mess and there have been some horrific things the character has been involved in. but the same can be said for Phyliss, Brooke, etc...

• Members

Then they shouldn't become soap actors. I mean, come on. Crazy stuff has been happening on soaps forever. Even shows that were much more grounded, like Ryan's Hope had crazy stories at times (Delia and the Gorilla anyone?). It doesn't sound like you are even watching the show, since you don't know what's going on with Sharon's bi polar. That's fine, but I don't see how you say it's nonsensical when you don't even know what "it" is.

• Members

I do watch the show. I haven't watched probably for two weeks (and instead of running to watch it everyday I catch up on weekends or when I have time), but I know everything that has happened. It's silly to think that because it's a soap actors should accept whatever crap the writers throw at them no matter how much it goes against or is out of character - particularly when this has been going on with the Sharon character for over 5 years now (and I don't even like Sharon). My point about Sharon's bipolar is that they rewrite the status of it every damn day, and they still haven't explained why she suddenly became a hooker. The use it as an excuse for her idiotic and out-of-character behavior the same way they have been using Cassie's death as an excuse for how repugnant and crotch-obsessed Nick had become.

It's poor storytelling and crap writing. This entire bait and switch isn't clever of fun, it's just a waste of everyone's time. I mean, the fallout in itself was underwhelming and anti-climactic, but doing this just feels like you're insulting the viewers and toying them and not in a fun or playful way, it feels lazy and cheap.

It reeks of the same stunt that MAB tried to pull with the "Cane is dead, sike no he isn't" bait and switch. A writer doing a "oh aren't I so clever" pat on their back while the audience rolls their eyes and wonders why the hell weeks and months of their time was just wasted. All because they couldn't come up with anything else for sweeps (JFP must have run out of stunt ideas).

• Members

what's dumb is how Sharon accessed the results in order to change them... like it's THAT simple. WTF? LOL

it's such a classic case of just really lazy writing to furnish a story... nothing seems organic.

• Members

way to belittle something that clearly matters to you... jeez.

all I'm saying is the story went the way the story went... I saw it coming from very far off (it didn't make sense to flip everything, not for Jack of all people), TPTB were NEVER gonna make a Newman an Abbot on Victor Newman's show. Victor is always gonna put one over on Jack. That's just the way it is, at the point.

• Members

Yeah JG didn’t lose his cajones, no one was righting a wrong. It was never a story that should’ve been told, would’ve been told eventually, or had to be told almost eight years after the fact without nary a mention in between. Made no sense with Phick and Shick vbroken up, no rooting facyot got Kyle/Summer aned Phack together with Phyllis on her way off canvas Be careful what u wish for lol

Archived