Y&R: June 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

What a great clip! Interesting how three very talented actors, totally out class the one lethargic actor, who was sleepwalking through it, as usual.... I miss seeing AF on either B&B or Y&R - I actually liked the Amber/Kay relationship - now it's evident why it worked so well.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unless he was "seducing" his brother's wife... At its core, Y&R is still a very conservative show. I've never gotten some of the choices that the show has made, esp with it's huge AA fan base (or at least what's left of it). While Bryton IS a problem when it comes to the whole hunk/sex appeal, other AA men on Y&R have definitely had that IT factor.

• Members

I agree. Y&R definitely plays into stereotypes when it comes African Americans although I do remember Neil and Dru having a couple short steamy sex scenes. It took them forever to let Tyler have sex, but we still have not seen Noah in a sex scene. I think that on top of being a boring writer, JG has no understanding about the importance of playing up the sexuality of the male characters on show and not just in the PR. I saw a recent scene with Billy et al., were in the gym and every single guy had his shirt on. WTH? Are you kidding me?

• Members

Kristoff & Shemar both had chemistry with white actresses but it was never capitalized on.

Like Leslie who had a ton of potential to until (like Sophia & Karen before her) she was marginalized to the Black storyline.

The only time Black actors are paired with white actors in Daytime is when they're going to be on the losing end of a love triangle with another white actor.

• Members

Bryton doesn't lack sex appeal (he's actually grown up to be very attractive).

He's not a steroid monster (Steve Burton) or an underwear model (Peter Porte) but he'd be fine if he got half the chances for love scenes & romantic relationships his white peers get.

• Members

I guess the next time anyone wonders why Primetime serials have 'it' over their Daytime counterparts, what everyone's just been talking about would be one of the reasons.

I get the fact that these shows are in the Daytime but I honestly don't see what's so dangerous or off putting about showing good looking and in some cases...gorgeous Black guys in passionate love scenes.

JG is as timid as they come in terms of the writing but on Y&R it didn't start with just him. Like someone said, this goes back decades.

Archived