Sean Saves The World: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

SEAN SAVES THE WORLD

Sean (Sean Hayes, “Will & Grace”) is a divorced gay dad who juggles a lot — his successful but demanding career, offbeat employees, pushy mom Lorna (Linda Lavin, “Alice”), and weekends with his teenage daughter, Ellie (Sami Isler). So when his 14-year-old bundle of joy moves in full-time, it’s a whole new world. Never one to do anything halfway, Sean’s intent on being the best dad ever, so he loads up on parenting how-to books and plans Pinterest-worthy family dinners. But it seems his company’s new owner has decided Sean and his team should work longer hours, putting a damper on his homemaking plans and throwing a kink in Sean’s perfectly constructed work/life balance. Ellie, a normal girl who wants to hang with her friends and eat on the run, sees this development as a plus. She loves her dad, but he’s clearly going overboard. From keeping his boss happy, his employees motivated and enduring his mother’s tactless “advice” to raising a smart, grounded and healthy kid, it’s going to be a growing experience, to say the least. But if anyone can handle it all, it’s Sean. Thomas Lennon (“Reno 911”), Lindsay Sloane (“Weeds”) and Echo Kellum (“Ben and Kate”) also star.

From executive producers Hayes (“Hot in Cleveland,” “Grimm”) and Todd Milliner (“Hot in Cleveland,” “Grimm”), executive producer/director James Burrows (“Friends,” “The Big Bang Theory”) and writer/producer Victor Fresco (“Go On,” “Mad About You”), “Sean Saves the World” is a production of Universal Television and Hazy Mills Productions.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm glad, but they need to improve the show:

I would love the "sassy" blonde BF to get the hell off the show. She's utterly horrible.

They need to come up with some more original plotlines. The show can be funny but it feels like they're just doing what's already been done a million times.

Is it too much to ask for them to actually have Sean in relationships and find the comedy in that, instead of silly, ruined-the-date scenarios?

• Members

Yeah, I like the cast overall (not a huge Hayes fan, but meh) but the show really is too old fashioned in terms of its sitcom plots--they all feel been there/done that. Not every comedy has to be cutting edge or "edgy" but... ANd I swear the stuff with his weird boss feels like it's from a different show or universe all together.

• Members

I agree that weve seen this before...I also think the boss so over the top...I did like the episode with the boss and Sean trying to get approval from their parents and the one with Sean being set up on a date with his cleaner...lol...and really wanting the hot guy...wish it was more of an episode though...enjoyed the one with Sean and his boss dancing together during the dance competition but just reminded me too much of the golden girls episode...lol

• Members

I liked the one were he danced with his boss as well. Surprisingly, I enjoy the boss stuff. Even though he's OTT, the actor does a great job. But they REALLY need to stop being so cliche. Just because you film in an old format doesn't mean your stories have to come straight out of the 80s....

• Members

I agree, the boss doesn't really fit in with the rest of the ensemble. He's sort of like Mayor Adam West on Family Guy, he's written in a totally different comedic style.

I've only seen two episodes, but I'm having a hard time grasping Linda Lavin's character. I'm also glad to see her back on TV, but I think they need to make her character clearer. She's a little too gray. One minute she's giving Sean some Sophia Petrillo-type biting wit, then they show her as a delusional bad decision making mom in Sean's youth (the commercials where he played his owm father in bed with his mom), then she's this sweet sympathetic woman of a certain age looking for love.

His friends at the office need better dialogue. I didn't find myself laughing all that much. Sean has all of those multi-million dollar tricks from Will & Grace that he can rely on. The other characters are going to need more. If it's not cancelled, I could see this show getting revamped.

Archived