Prospect Park Sues ABC Over ‘One Life To Live’ & ‘All My Children’ Licensing Agreement

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish it would. However, all this drama -- from the moment ABC initially sold the licensing rights to PP until now -- has done for me is question whether the shows themselves can survive this mess. I believe that intention rules everything, and that because neither side has operated always with the best intentions, what remains is a dark, negative cloud that has followed them every step of the way, and will continue to follow them as ABC, PP and these two soaps move forward.

• Members

The Irna law suite against WGA (Never read it) came to mind along with the issues she had with AW going on NBC causing all ATWT references to be deleted. This mainly reminds me of several class soap legends nobody outside the soapasphere knows about!! I don't think we had anything this juicy since the Santa Barbara incident, Ironically SB was co-created by the daughter of the creators of GH.

• Members

ABC's mistake was to heavily feature 3 characters they had not secured. That was just dumb dumb dumb! However, when PP failed, they offered 3 performers contracts. How is that wrong and why would the performers not jump at that?

Once PP decided it was going to run with the 2 soaps, they should have recast the characters, but that was not good enough. They wanted the performers. GH wanted to keep the characters so they said, "let's talk". Once GH determined that coordinating stories long term was a bad idea, they balked. Roger, who's contract was coming to an end could have gone to PP free and clear. Why didn't he? Instead, he played ball so that he could return to GH as Todd and make future appearances on OL. What went wrong? Didn't Roger go and do PP? Where was the breakdown?

This did not become a breach until PP completely lost the 3 performers.

When they knew the project was getting off the ground, PP had an obligation to learn what was happening with the 3 characters licensed to GH as they sought other OL actors for the reboot. What did they do? Focus on RH, KA and ME instead of Todd, Starr and John. Now, they are distraught over Cope and Alkie? Yeah right! No one believes that!

They only want to drag AMC into this to make their sham look legit? Idiots!

• Members

I suspect the final straw - if it's real - is ABCD threatening to pull ads for OLTL because RH is is in them.

That could be what broke the camel's back, in addition to all the other [!@#$%^&*] GH has allegedly pulled. They promised long term deals to the actors for characters they did not have locked down. They wrote all sorts of [!@#$%^&*] they apparently were asked to avoid doing. They may or may not have interfered with the actors.

And it was PP that wanted to talk. Not GH.

• Members

Yes and they should have offered these actors contracts once prospect parks deal with abc was over. Yet they did this stuff while pp still wasn't out of the equation. I really do believe pp has a lawsuit here. It not frivolous at all they are paying 4 million dollars a year to license them that doesn't include any of the costs to hire labor, marketing and get these shows off the ground. Pp wants what they paid for and was promised.

• Members

They failed!

They have the rights to both shows for 10 years after the contract date. They had until Feb 2013 to get OL going or lose the characters, no? Those are 2 different things!

PP has 10 years to get this right, so they can fail as many times as they want. I say that's a pretty good deal because it looks like they are going to need all 10 damn years!

• Members

I was kind of hoping these new AMC/OLTL incarnations would lead the way in abolishing the ridiculous 'back from the dead' type of story. It's been done in the past fine, but with the chance to start fresh, why do any more of these? Of all the classic soap 'stylings' that the writers could carry over, 'back from the dead' stories would not even make the list for me. I'm mentioning this in regards to the notion that it's no big deal to just write a quick back from the dead story to fix things.

There's only been a couple of really compelling back from the dead storylines, the rest have been silly.

• Members

They can offer the performers anything they want, and it's up to the performers to decline. How many of the actors (Daytime and Primetime) negotiate elsewhere while still under contract? Why is that even an argument here? KA never was going to PP. Michael went and when PP failed to get the project off the ground, he signed with GH. Roger signed with GH for a year when the PP thing failed and re-signed willingly.

Lemme guess, each was under duress when they signed with ABC???

Archived