Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Members

Sadly, the best part of this series, for me, was Candace and Jim on the stairs! I was LMAO and rewound about 10 times. They did a great job with that one!

Benny is so damn hot! Where's Darcy?

Celine is ridiculous, and I know Eva Tamargo has got to be rolling her eyes. She went from 0 to 5 million with nothing in between, and that has to be frustrating for an actor. They want to play these things out so that their characters don't look foolish. Right now, Celine looks foolish!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The good still doesn't even come close to outweighing the dreck on this show.

That said, that Hanna and Candace scene was awesome.

But this is so plotdriven it puts bad daytime to shame. First Celine does a one-eighty, now the morally upright and uptight David wants to "take care of the whore" by having 2 k's of coke planted on her. As slow as Jim was to connect the dots, I gotta laugh at how stupid David was assuming that her entire family was somehow setting Jim up. Yeah, cause con artists always go to their victims for lawyer recommendations.

Can hardly wait for Wyatt's damage via priest to be revealed. *rme*

• Members

Not following up with the Amanda story, even just one small scene of someone trying to reach her.. but she is so shattered she doesn't answer the phone.. is why I think Tyler Perry needs a breakdown writer and/or script editor. The ideas are there, and some of the scenes just work (i.e. Candace/Hanna scenes.. plus I like Kathryn's scenes especially when she is browbeating her wimpy hubby)... but there needs to be someone to edit and tighten up the scenes.. and also advise TP what to follow up on and what to leave for another episode.

• Members

Exactly. He kept reciting the SAME thing! Like WTF did he have to keep saying "I'm STARVING! Ya want a burger?" -__- nbe.jpg

I was LMAO @ the scenes when Benny was getting arrested. They looked SO CHEAP!21 Even the police siren lights were distractingly bad. That did not look like it was taking place in a believable outside setting and the lighting was dreadful.

• Members

Just got caught up with the last episode. I think it helps to watch while I'm still drunk from being out...

The dialogue is still, SOOOO drawn out.... "You know I didn't do this." "Yeah, I know." "You do?" "Yeah." It's almost like every line is a part of that improv game where you have to answer with questions (I know those aren't questions, but...)

Why did they focus on the rape in the "previously on..." segment and then not show it? But this show seems to drop stories for episodes at a time.

Jim is truly stupid.

I admit parts of the show--aside from how WTF it is--are compelling--I like Hannah and Sally Spectra under better writing would be great.

And so would be a priest molestation story but JESUS CHRIST--the way they're going with this? This could be a great story--and I know Tyler suffered from sexual abuse. I take these storylines personally, so I'm pretty worried where it will go...

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

I was just going to quote that.... Though you need to take 3 beats between each line--and the creepy reaction shots, into mind while reading it. Agnes Nixon, eat your heart out! The dialogue is SOOO drawn out. You do not have to write a conversation like:

"Hello"

"Hello there."

"I see you are sitting there in the dark."

"Yes I am sitting here in the dark."

"I see."

"Do you?"

"I do."

ad nauseam.

The last scene with Hannah and Candace would be great--except that I felt we were still meant to completely sympathize with Hannah--who admitted she made horrible mistakes and seemed to not accept that her daughter's were even slightly her fault.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

I agree---some ideas there are good. But they're so weighed down under bad acting and self-congratulatory backslapping by TP for being the sole creator of this "masterpiece" that it's lost. That rape was icky---and it should be---but because TP-the-writer filled the scene with useless chatter and TP-the-director doesn't ever subscribe to the "less is more" school of thought, and the actor is apparently jonesing for the free hamburger that comes with his salary, it comes off more like comedy.

All TP needed to show was the prof calmly redressing, looking around the room, one smirky remark about her living with Candace and him nonchalantly asking if she wanted to get take out to get the idea: this guy assumes Amanda's playing a role on her back to get a decent grade.

• Members

Not following up on the aftermath of the rape was a pacing no-no. Since the episode was jammed pack with other stories, you could have accomplished this follow up in one simple scene. The best place to insert that scene was after Kathryn and Hanna's heart to heart about their children after Kathryn hints that her son Wyatt was abused. I would have had Hanna leave the room while Kathryn has the impulse to call her daughter Amanda but Amanda doesn't answer her cell. We can see Amanda still in a state of shock on her bed as the cell phone rings on the nightstand.

It would have been a small scene, but be very powerful at the same time.. plus showing that Kathryn has a mothers instinct to call her daughter after sensing something is wrong.. would have been good development for the character. Sometimes the little moments develop a character better then seven minutes of mind-less chatter.