What Are You Reading?

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

LOL It's me, myself and I in here :lol: Finished THE CORRECTIONS by that Jonathan Franzen yesterday night. For some reason, it took me over a year to read the first half of the book but then I breezed through the rest of the book in 2-3 days. Franzen is undoubtedly a word-genius (much more of a writer than a storyteller) and he never met a detail he couldn't come up with or obsessively write about for three pages, but the book can be a weirdly changing experience. There are certain parts that were boring and, when that happens, you know you probably have to sit through another 15 pages of it, but when it was interesting, it was great. A kind of schizophrenic experience lol

200px-Thecorrectionscvr_zpsf06bf75a.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry about that, as I've slacked off a bit...

The last book I'd read (last month) was:

9781451627695_custom-209cb5c56615850926b

which basically fortified my love for one of the most luminous actresses to ever grace a screen. Got a healthy dose of old Hollywood gossip as a side dish, too. ;)

Currently, I'm waiting for my request for

jfk4n-1-web.jpg

from the library, as I haven't read a good Kennedy gossip book in a while....

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Recently finished A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE: A STORM OF SWORDS. Best one yet.

And just finished GONE GIRL. My God, what a psychopathic, intense, crazy-ass ride that book was. Devoured it in just days. I can't wait for the movie.

• Members

Just finished reading The Fault in Our Stars. Reading "Uganda Be Kidding Me" by Chelsea Handler right now because I've had a very hard/stressful few weeks and I need something light. Going to read Gone Girl next. I read Gillian's "Sharp Objects" and really liked it!

• Members

I'm going back and reading all the books I didn't read in college all the way through, now for fun. First book I am reading is:

their-eyes-were-watching-god-zora-neale-

Next book on my list is:

Madame_Bovary_Lydia_Davis.jpg

Then I'll finally get to read my Sherlock Holmes anthology that I bought in a bookstore while in London. I might even read the remainder of the Shakespearean plays left in my literature anthology. I've already read (for school) Taming of the Shrew (my absolute favorite & saw a stellar performance at the Globe), Romeo and Juliet, All's Well that End Well (my 2nd fave), Hamlet (saw the Globe traveling troop perform this at Oxford college), The Tempest, The Merchant of Venice, Macbeth, and A Midsummer's Night Dream (saw a performance of this at Shakespeare Tavern in ATL too). Much Ado About Nothing and Julius Caesar would be at the top of my list to read first.

Might as well throw myself into some books seeing as I have SO much time on my hands. -_-

• 4 months later...
  • Members

India came alive in WHAT THE BODY REMEMBERS! What a vivid picture of another place, another time, another life. Love!

book.jpg

Just finished THE KITE RUNNER. Beautiful, elegant, heartbreaking, and a hopeful ending. This being Hosseini's first novel, it's especially good, although I loved his third one, AND THE MOUNTAINS ECHOED, even more.

kiterunner.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Bret Easton Ellis' AMERICAN PSYCHO.

28676.jpg

I don't read a lot and when I do I only read little bits at a time, kind of along the lines of DAYS' production schedule.

The first two books were so much better than their movie adaptations. The Rules of Attraction film was enjoyable, but loses points for taking away Paul and Sean's sexual relationship. The Less Than Zero film was just completely horrible and didn't remotely do the book justice.

• Members

download%202_zpsgk9wm6ko.jpg

I'm bracing myself to read this book. The author interviewed my late father about his years as a semi-pro football player back in the 60s.

My Dad passed almost two years ago, and the author sent us a copy once it was printed. It even has the story of how he met my mother

when she worked at the concession stand. He asked her if she needed a ride home, and she said she just lived a few houses away. The next time he saw her, he wised up and offered to walk her home!

Archived