What Are You Reading?

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

Not sure if there are any bookworms around here, but I figured that it'd be as good a time as any to create a spinoff of the What Are You Listening To thread by asking you guys what you're reading at the moment. Besides, I am nosy and always have my eyes and ears open to any book that you suggest (or advise to steer clear from)...

I'll start by saying that I am currently reading

moneywood.jpg

which is a pretty interesting account of the behind-the-scenes power players in 80s Hollywood - from producers to agents with everything in between. I'll say that it's a departure from the usual celebrity tell-alls that I love to read, though there are tidbits here and there.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very cool topic VH! I am currently reading Raylan: A Novel by Mr. Elmore Leonard from the hit FX series, Justified. I don't even think I realized this came out last year but because one of my all time favorite soap stars, Ms. Shelley Hennig, recently guest starred a few weeks ago as Jackie Nevada on the show I had to read more about the character which was first seen in this book. Here's hoping next season we see more of Jackie because she was received quite well from the audience.

EZEHKn5l.jpg

• Members

Me tooooooooooo! Sad part is, I love to reread them. But it has gotten easier because now I try and find a .pdf version of my favorite books so I can add them to my iTouch because lugging those things to and fro is murder on your back.

Some of my favorite romance authors are Connie Mason, Stephanie Laurens, Melanie George, Sherrilyn Kenyon, old school Lori Foster,Erin McCarthy, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Janelle Denison and Suzanne Brockmann. They all range from historical, contemporary and fantasy/paranormal romance and they're very hot. I can recommend suggestions if anyone wants.

Oh yeah, I remember some your kind posts on her with a few of the Days threads in the past. I believe I read that it is as good as the ones he's written in the past. I haven't read a lot from him over the years but I know he is a very popular author and I used to always put his books back when I worked at the library and one of my favorite movies, Devil In A Blue Dress, was written by him.

Oh, meant to add -- just in case -- SH will recur for four eps. on an upcoming MTV series titled, Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous.

• Members

Just finished THE POWER TRIP by Jackie Collins. Excellent!

9780312567477_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

as well as,

THE TWELVE TRIBES OF HATTIE, another brilliant book. I devoured it!

12055127-large.jpg

As for what I'm reading:

Anna Karenina

The Sword of Shannara

The Corrections

The Casual Vacancy

A Song of Ice and Fire: A Clash of Kings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, this is certainly not enjoyable reading, but I am currently reading a series of about a dozen GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) prep books, which collectively total over 2,000 pages. Unfortunately, because of the difficulty of this test, I need to read each of these books at least twice.

• Members

Just finished reading this classic Wuthering Heights, and despite my best efforts.. was totally sucked into the haunting connections between two star crossed lovers and how their choices affected themselves and those around them. A multi-generational family saga to end all sagas!

9781593081287_p0_v4_s260x420.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • Members

16115612_zpsc55718a5.jpg

Just finished AND THE MOUNTAINS ECHOED. It was such a great experience. Hosseini showed how we can be both good and bad, and how one person's decision can change the fate of many people.

Also, sibling love. I heartily recommend it, but you will cry and cry and cry and cry and cry. So sweet, touching, human, with heart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Finished A CLASH OF KINGS today. Marvelous! I would give it (with heavy heart) 4/4.5 stars out of 5 mostly because I don't find Theon an interesting or compelling character at all. His POV chapters leave me mostly bored and almost always seem like a chore to sit through (even though some interesting things do happen during the later part of the book). Also, despite this being a continuing story and none of the characters' fates being resolved, there is no actual, edge-of-your-seat cliffhanger. Bran leaves Winterfell behind, and that's it. It's sad, but not gripping. But the intrigue at King's Landing is pure soapy exciting fun. And I think it says a lot about the writing that I am gripped and excited to read it despite basically knowing everything that's going to happen. Will be picking up Book 3 soon.

clash_of_kings_zpse72f62ef.jpg

Archived