Soapnet's "50 years in 50 hours" GH marathon

• Members

She did, and it was awful. It was the exact same textbook she'd used at OLTL with the Rappaports, etc. beat for beat. It was incredibly satisfying watching her be all but stripped of any creative control the following year. She completely demolished the show in an utterly different way from Guza's later run.

Sabrina I don't mind. The writing gets a little childish at times but she's sweet. It's obvious the Patrick thing is never going to go anywhere. It's a tease for Robin's return and then Sabrina will find someone else. I always understood that. At this rate, probably Michael.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She's nothing but sweet though. They need to make her less of a Mary Sue and then maybe I would like her.

What she should have done when Britt started crap with her yesterday was grab away one of those crutches Britt was using...and went to town on her. *whack* *thud* *headbash*

Sabrina's just too good for her own good.

To be perfectly honest. I saw some of the Roy and Melissa stuff, some of the stuff with some of the other newer characters and couples around that time. But, JFP's early run is such a blur to me because it was so bad. What's some of the other stuff that happened. I cannot remember. (It's been like 3 years for me since I watched that era..and it's a blur from the badness of it)

• Members

Thank god someone put a stop to that story where Bobbie was suppose to go crazy over the "amazing love" of Roy and Melissa and be shipped off to the psychiatric hospital.

That's a really good observation. They do really remind me a lot of the Rappaports as well, especially their dominance on the canvas after being on the show for all of about 5 minutes.

• Members

Bobbie was going to go mad and end up in Ferncliff to prop Roy and Melissa. She was going to become a psycho stalker. Tony Geary put a stop to it.

I remember just about everything from that ridiculous era. She went from dismantling my soap (OLTL) for almost four years directly to GH at 3 PM and the change from the original Guza team's still pretty good work was immediate and profound. GH was lobotomized and became something unrecognizable overnight.

Skye was part of that as well - forcing her down our throats, forcing her 'relationships' with the Quatermaines and Luke, and instant 'vendettas' against other GH characters - because Robin Christopher was a very close friend of JFP's, who had brought her onto OLTL initially. I never accepted Skye on GH. I only grudgingly came to terms with her in Port Charles recently, in small, controlled doses.

• Members

• Angel Sorel and Loon Lake. Angel was intended to be Sonny's new love interest; Carly was recast with Tamara Braun after Sarah Brown had a screaming match with JFP and quit. Tamara was intended to be a temp so Carly could be killed off, but fans (along with Maurice Benard) openly rebelled against the storyline, embraced Braun and Angel was dispatched. Angel also included a variation on a favorite JFP theme - 'colors' illustrating characters' backstories. Angel was obsessed with wearing nothing but white after losing her husband to her mob kingpin father, and the show made her out to be ethereal and angelic. Later, when her father Sorel was murdered, Angel 'revealed herself' in grand flourish to be wearing all red from now on, having been 'liberated' as a woman. It was retarded. It was also reused in later years during the writers' strike, when JFP introduced Sarah Brown's Claudia character as loving red and being obsessed with her family - with her red pumps as a symbol of her freedom or something.
  • "Endgame". Bastardized from Tony Geary's original story treatment by JFP and McTavish, it was a ridiculous, embarrassing mess that puts just about anything RC has ever done poorly to shame. Was heavily rewritten first by JFP to accommodate her friend, repeat sex pest Robert Kelker-Kelly as unfrozen Stavros Cassadine, who had been kept in cryogenic freeze beneath the hospital for years and liked to dance around with frozen champagne bottles to Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy". Then rewritten again under network pressure following 9/11 - her original plan involved blowing up the hospital so she could redo the sets (which she did years later) and having Helena unleash a biotoxin onto Port Charles. It's still an unwatchable piece of [!@#$%^&*] today, but we watched it live.
  • Skye and the Quartermaines.
  • Courtney.
  • The original Kristina - rocker grrl and Alexis's heretofore unmentioned long-lost sister, who stole Ned from her. Alexis was moved on to Sonny after the demise of the Angel character. There were many 'surprise siblings' on the show at this time, and both Courtney and Kristina popped up pretty much out of nowhere. I liked Jaime Ray Newman as Kristina, but the story was threadbare at best.
  • Sarah Webber, played by the truly lame Sarah Laine, returns and steals Lucky from Liz.

There's more but I can't be fucked to remember.

• Members

That was also the period that brought us Courtney and the beginning of the whole show being the Carly, Sonny, Jason, and Courtney hour and everyone in town having to love and kiss up to them or else.

I think she did AJ on the meathook around that time too.

Also, the beginning of Scott never caring about or loving anyone but Laura and him supposedly sitting around obsessing over her ever since she left him.

• Members

She did do A.J. on the meathook, yes. She also did A.J. and Courtney with McTavish, one of their only good additions.

The real "Fab 4" era of Sonny, Jason, Carly and Courtney didn't begin until JFP was locked down, Megan was fired and Guza returned with Pratt in tow.

• Members

AJ on the meathook I remember.

Courtney was horrible. God, I loved the day that woman bit it.

I have never watched Endgame. I've watched some of the Lucky/Faison stuff. But, that wasn't really endgame. I've actually avoided it because I've heard of it's horrors before.

Oh, what about AmTam's Emily being shipped off. That was bad too. The last NB and the traincrash.

Who did Fluke? Fluke was nasty [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

Angel and Loon Lake and Endgame are two of the worst things ever.

I hated them tying Skye to the Quartermaines and having Rae wander all over ABC Daytime looking a child that she knew neither the age or gender of (everyone from Skye to Max Holden to Eve Lambert she thought might have been the child at one point) only for them to turn around and [!@#$%^&*] undo it.

Sadly, I don't think she did Felicia and Luke.

• Members

Felicia and Luke was Guza. Lucky's death, Faison, etc. was also all Guza. In 2001 the plot shifted into Jacob Young's Lucky being overtly brainwashed by Helena, Stavros under the hospital, etc. - that was all JFP and McTavish.

I was thrilled when they undid Skye being a Q. It never worked. It was [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

I didn't like it either, but it felt like such a waste after they spent all that [!@#$%^&*] time on it and undid all her previous history to make it work. It didn't even really change anything. She still hung around and mooched off the Quartermaines. I love and adore Skye but I never liked her as a Quartermaine. I wish they'd just go ahead and say really was Adam's all along.

Yeah 2001 and endgame was Lucky being brainwashed having his memories wiped by Helena and her programming him to inject people with viruses and poison people.

Remember Helena's underground lab during Endgame? Ridiculous.

Archived