Fantasia & Maroon 5 performing at...

MoTheGreat

• Members

the Grammys.. I meant together.

By Sue Schultz

Staff Writer

On Saturday night, "American Idol" star and High Point native Fantasia Barrino was backing up her brother Rico at Solaris in downtown Greensboro.

This Wednesday night, rhythm and blues' newest diva will be on stage in Los Angeles, crooning with Maroon 5 at the 48th annual Grammys.

Barrino, who won the "American Idol" crown in 2004, has earned four Grammy nominations in the R&B category for her debut album, "Free Yourself."

And Rico Barrino, though he won't be with his famous sister Wednesday night, plans to host a public Grammy celebration at Garfield's Restaurant in High Point's Oak Hollow Mall.

The party will feature nine big-screen televisions and will be attended by Guilford County Commissioner Bruce Davis and High Point City Councilwoman Bernita Sims.

High Point signage already touts the city as the "Home of American Idol Winner Fantasia Barrino," but her family and friends said they may need more space to add "Grammy Winner Fantasia Barrino."

She'd be the second Grammy winner from High Point; jazz legend and High Point native John Coltrane, who died in 1967, won in 1981 for his instrumental "Bye Bye Blackbird."

The Barrino family sounded confident going into Wednesday night.

"I've got my lock-in face on, and I believe she'll bring at least one of those home," the singer's father, Joe Barrino, said in a telephone interview Monday from Los Angeles.

Fantasia Barrino was unavailable for comment Monday.

But moving from High Point teen mom to "American Idol" to potential Grammy-winning artist may still not be enough for Barrino.

What's next? Hollywood, of course.

Joe Barrino said work on a movie about her life -- taken from her recent book, "Life Is Not a Fairy Tale" -- could begin later this year

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...001/NEWSREC0201

7318553Snowbiz27200674943AM.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To bad your missing out on a great performer. anyway Don't think that's Marron 5. But the guy that sings for Marron 5 likes her. He saw her perform at the UNCF & couldn't get enough.

The guy from Green Day also said he think Fantasia cool. Your loss is someone elses gain.

• Members

How unfair... they let Fantasia sing at the Grammys her first year out and they didn't have Kelly PRESENT at her first Grammys. :angry:

I really hope she doesn't win... there are far more deserving nominees in her categories. Though one of the nominations is for Best R&B Song I think, which she didn't write, so technically its the writers nominated <_<

• Members

You need to get over it. Kelly & Tasia aren't even going for the same awards. Tasia deserve her success just like Kelly deserve hers. Why want ill on a person you don't know. I don't think Kelly is all that but i don't go around saying I hope Kelly walks away empty handed. I don't even listen to anything she been on since she came out but that doesn't mean that Kelly doesn't deserve anything.

Archived