Unsung

Eric83

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They are also doing a two hour episode this season on the rise and fall of Disco with Gloria Gaynor, Nile Rodgers, Thelma Houston, and The Village People.

I am ready for them to start doing some on 90's artists, I have secretly wanted to see one on Tevin Campbell lol

• Members

Arrested Development doesn't count?

And as much as I'd love to see one on Tevin Campbell (a.k.a.: the love of my life when I was a tween and no I don't want to hear a single peep from anyone about that), I doubt that'll ever happen for the simple fact that folks aren't ready for him to spill the beans on what really went down behind the scenes during his heyday. After all, the majority of his fanbase vanished like a thief in the night after his "try-sexual" interview.

• Members

Looking at the episode guide on the show's Wiki page, it's amazing to me how many of these "unsung" talents contributed to the soundtrack of my childhood than the usual big names. Con Funk Shun ("Loooong night. Caaaan't sleep. Toooo worried toooo eat. Gotta call'a up. Diiiiiial that nuuuuuumber, and nooooo one aaaaaanswers til two'a'clock."), Angela Winbush ("If anythiiiiing I'd miss, I never could resist your smiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile."), Heatwave ("Always and foreverrrr, each moment with youuuu feels like a dream to meeee that somehow came truuuue."), Teddy Pendergass ("It's soooooo good loving somebody and that somebody loves you back! Said not 60/40, not 20/80...talkin' 'bout 50/50 looove."), etc.

Besides Betty, they need to get to work on episodes about the Brothers Johnson, Tyrone Davis, First Choice, The Emotions, Loleatta Holloway. Also, maybe an episode where they profile several of the one/two-hit wonders from the 70s like Shirley Brown, Dorothy Moore, Jean Knight, Barbara Mason, Lenny Williams, Luther Ingram, etc.

• Members

I love UnSung and my only "complaint" about it is that the episodes are only an hour long.

I loved the Clark Sisters episode. What I didn't like (because I'm nosy), yet am able to appreciate, is that they didn't tell all their business. There was a lot left unsaid, or merely alluded to. I find Gospel music industry people and their gossip particularly interesting, especially because it is so damn scandalous. The Sylvester and Miki Howard episodes touched upon that and the issue of homosexuality in the black church.

Millie Jackson is a riot.

I was very sad after watching the Vesta and Teena episodes. Thank God for this show, the whole concept of it is particularly poignant when they profile someone just before they pass.

They only do musicians, but Ellen Holly needs to be on this show.

• Members

No, they have not though I've suggested it in the past on IMDb. I love that clip by the way, she made me fall in love with that song which I dedicated to a girl (the Feliciano version) who does not want to be where I am. :-/

Early '80s Manhattan. The toast of Broadway meets daytime. What an utterly fascinating and frightening artistic era. I really wish I could have experienced it as a knowledgeable, responsible adult.

Edited by SFK