The Day After

Ryan Chamberlain

• Members

Years ago. When I was a teen. I saw a few clips and some discussion about this movie on I love the 80s. It was always put into the back of my mind that I need to watch this because I love disaster flicks. Over the years though. I have made excuses about why not to watch it. How it's so outdated, yet, I still heard it was graphic and terrifying, etc, etc. So, I would !@#$%^&*] out and not look the film up on YT. Well, tonight....I finally got the balls. The balls to watch Lawrence Kansas get blown to high heavens.

Lemme just say this. I won't be getting any sleep for a loooooooong time. Scared me s**tless. Such a sad film too. :(

I was -4 when the film was released (As in, it was released in 1983 and I was born in 1987) But, I can only imagine kids and adults (like me now) reactions to it back then. I would have pissed my pants if I was alive in 1983 watching it.

So, how many of you have seen The Day After? When did you see it? When it was released or after? How old where you at the time you saw it if you saw it live in Nov. 83? ETC.

Discuss!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had heard of the movie for years and finally watched about 5 years ago I believe. Like you it also freaked me out, especially the part when the bomb hits and you the see the skeletons of the people as the light burns through them, that part is etched in my memory forever. ph34r.png

• Members

It was recommended viewing for me. My mother watched it with me, and there was a discussion after the film with two men, 1 for and 1 against use of nuclear weapons. At the end of the movie it said that what I had just seen was 100 times less what a real attack would be like. It was during the Reagan Admin. when both countries stayed on the brink. A very sobering film that reportedly made Reagan cry and gave Gorbachev, the Soviet Premiere at that time, deep pause about destroying the human race for nothing.

I still feel it should required viewing for our young people today. It remains one of the most harrowing films I've seen.

Archived