Crystal Chappell's Memoir

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm aware it is only an excerpt, so maybe she does not sound as self absorbed in her book, but it was interesting how CC has written herself as a victim with a high opinion of her skills.

But, to me, the fact the excerpt says not only did she have issues at Days with PR, KA and Corday (surprised, but it said PR AND KA - I guess Round 2?), but that Robert Newman and Kim Zimmer made things "very challenging", well...if she only had issues on one soap, that's fine, but what seems like a pattern? Maybe CC should think about that a bit.

All that said, I don't think I care enough to buy her book. LOL.

• Members

Still, though, CC has been in the soap business for ages now, unlike her first time at Days. Did she really, truly believe there would NOT be "two camps" based on her story? That is just naive. I realize there were many bored with Bo/Hope, but also I'm sure they still had fans, just as Bo/Carly did.

To write that as some huge shock makes her look dim. Did she really believe that Bo/Hope would end and the era of Bo/Carly Part 2 would be heralded by angels? I don't know KA. Maybe she is a huge bitch. Maybe she isn't. Still, for whatever it's worth, the woman paid her dues on that show for years. I could understand her POV if another actress, popular, but on the show for a mere three years, honed in on what her character was known for. And, let's face it, good or bad, KA is and was known for Bo/Hope, and I could see her not wanting to give that up easily, even if the luster had long since faded.

I know CC scored legions of fans with her GL stint, of which I'm admittedly not familiar with. But a part of me wonders if CC had gained her own sense of entitlement as big as KA because of it. Actors are arrogant creatures. If she did, I could easily see the battle lines being drawn quickly.

The fighting on set sounds more interesting than what passes for Days on screen now, though. Maybe the backstage stuff should have aired instead.

• Members

Frankly, I'm always suspicious about this-or-that celebrity's need to share with the rest of the world their struggles with addiction and other forms of self-destructive behavior. Are they doing it because they truly need catharsis and healing, or are they doing it merely to continue the cycle of adoration and self-gratification with their followers?

Then again, I come from a place and kind of folk where, if you had troubles in your personal life, you dealt with them privately and anonymously. Not because you were supposed to feel shame, but just b/c you don't put your business in the street, as they say.

And as CC's battles with several of her co-stars: look, I think we all can agree that actors often are insufferable beasts and that, with rare exception, battles between them are hardly ever one-sided. KA, PR and others might have given CC a difficult time throughout her career, but she probably gave them reason to be difficult, too. As Mama Khan would say: there's her story, his story, and the truth.

• Members

I've wondered about this too. Is the rationale, "Well, people are interested in me; therefore I will share with them the intimate details of my life." Hmm. God knows I'm nosy and I enjoy "dish" and there are celebrities who fascinate me and whose personal lives I would love to know more about. But they don't owe me anything. I don't slight them if they don't share. Khan, if you or I (or All My Shadows!) or any of us were famous, there are certainly some GREAT stories we could tell. But some things I would never share beyond my family and circle of friends. Do some people just get off on telling all their business? Must catharsis be so public?

• Members

Y'know...I kind of get why someone like Kim Zimmer or Susan Lucci gets some kind of book deal---they are names in the industry across generations of fans. Is CC truly in that class, or is this simply more of a hook to keep her Otalia/Venice undies buying public shelling out more money to support this "ground-breaking entrepreneur"?

Archived