Charles Durning has passed

Ann_SS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never knew about his WWII experiences. They sound unimaginable.

He was on soaps, briefly - he was the first Gil McGowan on AW, in the early 70s.

He was a wonderful actor, a true character actor but also good in leading, complex roles. I remember him from Evening Shade. I also remember him for his wonderful work in a TV-movie with Maureen Stapleton, called Queen of the Stardust Ballroom. Stapleton played a widow who was living her life for her not overly grateful children, and Durning wooed her, taking her to a dance hall. They fell in love - they even sang. These were very vulnerable performances, and while the movie made me cry, I still have fond memories of it.

• Members

I think that became the Broadway musical, Ballroom.

This is the first role I ever saw him in and the one I associate with him the most. Especially when he's singing that ditty about frog leg burgers and in his accent it sounds like "frog leg boogers".

• Members

I never knew they made that into a Broadway musical. Apparently it didn't run very long. I saw the TV-movie on Encore a long time ago, back when I watched Encore for something beyond taping Western reruns for some of my family. It's very good. Sad, but good.

Archived