Kate/William Expecting First Child

Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks to the good genes in that family, it isn't a certainty this kid will even make it to being King. Elizabath isn't going anywhere, Charles isn't either, and we can assume William will be chugging along well into his 80s and 90s just lie the queen is and the queen mother did.

It seems like just yesterday this announcement was made about Diana and William.

• Members

I wish them the best. I'm sorry that they were put under such pressure to have a child, and Kate is so thin and frail that I worry a little about her during a pregnancy. She seems somewhat unwell to me. I hope this turns out OK.

• Members

The UK press is going to go crazy, I can already imagine the stories about Kate, her weight, and her troubled pregnancy, should they go that route.

Sometimes I think I live in the wrong side of the Atlantic. I spend way too much time consuming British pop culture (music,TV, general culture, tabloid press, UK celebrities, etc). Even when I was in high school, it was always this way. mellow.png

• Members

^Ha. You think you did. I went to school with this boy (from 3rd grade through HS) who spoke in a British accent and he was from right here in Central KY. (born and raised) What an odd fellow he was/is. I'm not calling you odd. Consuming the culture is far different from trying to imitate it in everything like this guy did.

• Members

I've been this way most of my life, thanks to PBS, when I watched anything on PBS. To be honest I think people like us keep a lot of that part of British life going.

In her head, yes. In reality, not so sure she can face it.

• Members

Especially when you consider the British do not have a great deal of national pride (when compared to Americans, they're much more individualistic).

I do have a large family in the UK and have traveled and spent a great deal of time there, I guess it's probably a contrived innate/psychological way for me to feel close to something there, by consuming so much of the culture from there.

My trips to London were often the highlight of my life growing up, LOL. So pathetic, I know. Still, to this day, every time I'm there, I feel at home/excited.

• Members

There is an intense amount of self-loathing. I guess introspection is not always a bad thing, but you can't even have an Olympics in the UK without hearing endlessly about how worthless and hollow the whole thing is.

Many in the US likely see tea and crumpets, the Windsors, Hugh Grant, Joan Collins, James Bond, Downton Abbey, Are You Being Served? The reality is of course so much more complicated, and darker, but I will always have a soft spot for the Windsors. And I think many of those who call for them to be abolished will have very deep regrets as soon as that actually happens.

• Members

Sometimes I do sympathize with the anti-monarchists and understand where they're coming from. Truth be told, given the current state of British society, the royal family seems almost C-list and definitely antiquated.

In some ways, Diana was the best (and some would argue worst) thing for the image/popularity of the royals.

Archived