Soap actors in other roles (past)

• Members

I know there's already a "where are they now" thread, but that's more for what actors are doing today. I didn't know if there was a thread which mentions work soap actors previously did in primetime, film, theater, etc.

A few weeks ago I was watching an early 70s British horror anthology series, called Thriller, and was surprised to see none other than Donna Mills. The man who produced the show said he really liked working with her, and she enjoyed the experience, so much so that she was on three different times. He also said she chose to wear her own wardrobe.

The episode I watched was something like "The Thing At the Top of the Stairs," where she co-starred with, of all people, Judy Carne, as two young students who move into a rooming house in London. She is the only one who seems to realize just how frightening the rooming house is, Mills does a great job in the role. The most chilling scene is the one where she realizes a little boy is peeping at her when she's going to change. She admonishes him, and takes him to his parents, who say they'll make sure he doesn't do that again. They close their door, and after they think she's gone (she hadn't), their lectures turn to laughing and laughing and laughing...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good idea for a thread Carl

So many actors are so closely identified with a soap role that it is always a surprise to see them in other stuff.

I was watching a 1948 Warners movie 'Embraceable You' and there was Mary Stuart in a few scenes as a nurse.

Also Frances Reid pops up in the cult Rock Hudson movie 'Seconds' from 66.i assume she made that movie shortly before signing on at Days.

• Members

Every so often I catch Phil Carey on an old western, usually playing a soldier. Definitely a hunk in his youth. Usually tallest one of the bunch. He made John Wayne look like a girl. (Not to mention his funny turn as Archie's unbenownst gay friend "Steve" in All In The Family, along with Tony Geary & Bob Hastings.)

image.jpg

Eric Braeden in one of the Planet of the Apes movies, also as a neo-Nazi in Mission:Impossible. They do seem to cast him as the villain.

Susan Seaforth was on Dragnet several times.

The more old shows I see (like Perry Mason), the more I see Frank Maxwell, who was Dan Rooney on GH for many years.

Larry Gates (HB on GL) did Invasion of the Body Snatchers, In The Heat of the Night and more. Larry was the guy whose character slapped Sidney Poitier in ITHOTN and Sidney slapped him back.

I had a clip of Stephen Nichols on TJ Hooker up on youtube a long time ago (as a psycho killer who attacked Heather Locklear's character) and someone asked me on his behalf to please take it down so I did. Guess he was embarrassed by that role as I wasn't asked to remove any of his DOOL or Win, Lose or Draw clips.

• Members

Marj Dusay did tons of primetime guest spots before her first soap role replacing Carolyn Jones as Myrna on Capitol. The first thing I ever saw Marj in was Facts of Life, playing Blair's mother, Monica (like most of her soap roles, she was a recast here as well). It was years later when I had become a fan of hers on GL did I realize that funny, elegant lady playing Monica was Marj.

• Members

A Martinez appeared in all sorts of '70s-era TV Shows, including The Young Pioneers, in which he costarred with Mare Winningham, who he married in 1981 ... and divorced a few months later.

Jed Allan appeared in two or three seasons of the syndicated show "Lassie" before going to DOOL.

Archived