Every UK #1 hit

alphanguy74

• Members

Next is Perry Como's "Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes" which was number one for 5 weeks, February 6 - March12, 1953.

"Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes" is an off meter ballad concerning a man away from home worried that his paramour may unwittingly stray from their relationship. The song was recorded in many different styles by many artists. It was written by Winston L. Moore (whose stage name was Slim Willett) and was published in 1952. The title comes from the opening refrain: Don't let the stars get in your eyes, Don't let the moon break your heart.

The song was first recorded by Slim Willet and the Brush Cutters (4 Star 11614, reaching #1) and then by Ray Price ( reaching #4).Skeets MacDonald followed with a Western Swing hit, reaching #1 and staying on the charts 18 weeks. His version was released by Capitol Records as catalog number 2216 with the flip side “Big Family Trouble."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Next is "She Wears Red Feathers" buy Guy Mitchell, which was number one for 4 weeks, March 13 - April 9, 1953. Guy had this number one a full 2 years before he topped the charts in the United States. This song only went to number 19 in the US Billboard chart.

(And I can see why, I think the lyrics are pretty ridiculous)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gI6V83fofQ

• Members

Thanks for doing this. Don't Let the Stars has a tempo I'm not a big fan of. I am also not a fan of the backing vocalists taking up so much of the song. Someone once told me Johnny Cash was one of the people who helped put a stop to that being so prominent. If so, I thank him.

kd lang did a nice cover of this, which you don't get to hear thanks to copyright. Here's a concert performance. The polka background is not on the album version of her cover, but I think it's a good touch.

• Members

Next is "Broken Wings" by the Stargazers, which was number one for 1 week, April 10 - April 16, 1953.

The Stargazers were jointly founded in 1949 by Cliff Adams and Ronnie Milne. Other original members were Marie Benson, Fred Datchler, and Dick James. Very shortly after the group made their first broadcasts with BBC radio, Dick James decided to resume his career as a solo, left the group, and was replaced by Bob Brown. Ronnie Milne took care of the musical arranging, while Cliff Adams became its manager, in addition to contributing scores for the group. In September 1953, Milne left the Stargazers to emigrate to Canada, and was replaced in the group by Dave Cary. The group served as backing vocalists for Petula Clark on her first recordings. This is the first UK number one that was not released at all in the United States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXU1bco_7OQ

• Members

Yeah... I thought this one was pretty much a stinker. But you never know why some songs get to be number one, and others don't. It sounds like a lackluster church hymn, to be honest. And there are some good church hymns.... but this don't sound like one!

• Members

Next we have "I Believe" by Frankie Laine, which was number one for an astounding 16 weeks, non consecutively... April 24 - June 25, July 3 - August 13, and August 21 - September 10, 1953.

Singer, composer and author Frankie Laine was born March 30, 1913 in Chicago. His real name was Francesco Paulo LoVecchio and he lived in Chicago's Little Italy. Frankie was the oldest of eight children born to Sicilian immigrants John and Anna Lo Vecchio, who had come from Monreale, Sicily near Palermo. His father first worked as a water-boy for the Chicago Railroad and he was eventually promoted to laying rails. His father subsequently went to a Trade School and became a barber. One of his most famous clients was gangster Al Capone. Laine moved to Los Angeles, California and worked at a defense plant. One day, he noticed a boy struggling in a neighborhood swimming pool and saved him from drowning. His name was Ronnie Como, son of singer Perry Como. Coincidentally, Laine replaced Como on the Frankie Carlone band. Laine was working at Hollywood and Vine in the Billy Berg Club when he was discovered by Hoagy Carmichael after Carmichael heard him sing his song "Old Rocking Chair". The house trio was led by none other than Nat King Cole. Laine introduced the song "That's My Desire" at the Vine Street Club in Hollywood, California. He was also a first class jazz singer and, by 1952, he was among the top recording stars and had his own show at the London Palladium.

He died on February 6, 2007.

Archived