Every UK #1 hit

alphanguy74

• Members

That YouTube poster has posted compilation videos of all the #1's for every year in the 00's, and looks like he's moving on to the 90's now. He posted 1999's #1 UK singles yesterday.

I wonder how far back he intends on going. It's funny remembering some of these songs. As I said before, the late 90's was really when I started to pay attention to the UK charts, so this is special to me, even if A LOT of what was popular back then was crap and has not aged well at all. 

Of course and just because, here's the overall 1999 year end list, courtesy of Top of The Pops:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This period, the late 90s and very early 00s, was the last time I paid attention to what was on the charts. The early 90s was a bad time for pure pop music, but during the later half there were so many enjoyable songs and artists that I'm not ashamed to admit I loved: Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Steps, Atomic Kitten, Sugababes, Robbie Williams, Backstreet Boys etc

• Members

Next up is "Softly Softly" by Ruby Murray, which was number one for 3 weeks, February 18 - March 10, 1956.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EOA3xyWoD4

b. 29 March 1935, Belfast, Northern Ireland, d. 17 December 1996. One of the most popular singers in the UK during the 50s, Murray toured Ulster as a child singer in various variety shows, and, after being spotted by producer Richard Afton, made her television debut at the age of 12. Stringent Irish laws regarding child performers held her back for two years, and she returned to school in Belfast until she was 14. In 1954 she travelled to London in comedian Tommy Morgan's touring revue, Mrs. Mulligan's Hotel, and was again seen by Afton, at the famous Metropolitan Theatre, Edgware Road. He offered her a position as resident singer on BBC Television's Quite Contrary, replacing Joan Regan who was about to leave. Signed to UK Columbia by recording manager and musical director Ray Martin, Murray's first release, 'Heartbeat', made the UK Top 5 in 1954, and was followed by 'Softly, Softly'. The latter reached number 1 in 1955, and became an ideal theme song, reflecting her shy image. In the early part of 1955 Murray had five singles in the Top 20 at the same time, an extraordinary record that lasted until the emergence of Madonna in the 80s. Murray's hits included 'Happy Days And Lonely Nights', 'Let Me Go Lover', 'If Anyone Finds This, I Love You' (with Anne Warren), 'Evermore', 'I'll Come When You Call', 'Real Love', 'Goodbye Jimmy, Goodbye' and 'You Are My First Love'. She sang the last number over the opening titles of the film musical It's Great To Be Young. Murray's own film appearances included the comedy, A Touch Of The Sun, with Frankie Howerd and Dennis Price. During a hectic period in the mid-50s, she had her own television show, starred at the London Palladium in Painting The Town with Norman Wisdom, appeared in a Royal Command Performance, and toured the USA, Malta and North Africa. In 1957, while appearing in a summer season at Blackpool, she met Bernie Burgess, a member of the vocal group the Jones Boys. They married in secret 10 days later. Burgess became her personal manager and, during the early 60s, they toured as a double act. In 1970 Murray had some success with 'Change Your Mind', and released an album with the same title, which included contemporary songs such as 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head', and revamped some of her hits. In 1989 Ruby Murray's EMI Years included other songs regularly featured in her act such as 'Mr. Wonderful', 'Scarlet Ribbons' and 'It's The Irish In Me'. In the 90s, based in Torquay, Devon, with her second husband, impresario Ray Lamar, she was still performing in cabaret and in nostalgia shows with other stars of the 50s right up to her death in 1996.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Next up is "Give Me Your Word" by Tennessee Ernie Ford, which was number one for 7 weeks, March 11 - April 28, 1956.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPM_Hmnk1mA

Ford was married to Betty Heminger from September 18, 1942, until her death on February 26, 1989; they had two children—Jeffrey Buckner “Buck” Ford (born January 6, 1950) and Brion Leonard Ford (born September 3, 1952 i - died October 24, 2008 of lung cancer at age 56).

Less than four months after Betty's death, Ford, who had long suffered from severe alcoholism, married again. On September 28, 1991, he fell into severe liver failure at Dulles airport, shortly after leaving a state dinner at the White house hosted by then President George Bush. Ford died in H. C. A. Reston Hospital Center, on October 17—exactly 36 years after "Sixteen Tons" was released, and one day shy of the first anniversary of his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame. Ford was interred at Alta Mesa Memorial park . His second wife, Beverly Wood Ford (1921–2001), died ten years after Ernie and her body was interred with her husband's.

• 1 month later...

Archived