GH: Alternative

• Members

Cartooni 's preoccupation with rape and mental illness is the problem here. Sorry for anyone who has gone thru such a horrible ordeal, but how is this to be taken seriously when it has the substance of a shoelace? One ambiguous/rape after the other. Johnny is walking around planning a future with notCarly while everyone has gotten over the fact that this slug took advantage of a mentally ill woman. Exactly how am I supposed to sit back and be riveted by this chit?! Kate is behind bars but Johnny is floating around? Rape is nothing to mock but this nonstory is laughable and we should laugh.

Rape is no joke but this crap on-screen certainly is. I've felt for quite some time that Ron has serious issues with women and Frank does not intervene because he loves him. Ron totally gets off on the brutalization of women.

ANDREA

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dont know Jane. The Franco rape never happened. It was a mind [!@#$%^&*] done by Franco to get to Jason. That is Guza. I also did not like that Connie/John & Ford/Jessica. I thought that was all crap . The Kate story just by the way it unfolded and mixed in with the Teresa stuff, I got that Joe JR, is just a woman abusing coward & I am intriqued on how this will play out

• Members

Exactly. I loved the majority of the stuff he did on OLTL but when he had Ford rape Jessica then had VIKI of all people singing his praises by the end of the show. I hated that. They threw Brody (a good guy) under the bus for Jessica and her rapist and Natalie and the man that didn't want her baby as soon as he thought he wasn't the father.

• Members
The description wasn't a joke but the way they had her attack herself was. Did you watch OLTL. For me this is typical and expecting RC to make a mockery out of rape is par for the course. He had Jessica's father graphically try to rape get with the goal of impregnating her and used that to launch her into a haha storyline with her creating a teenage alter and going back to high school at 30. I don't usually get bothered by things on soaps but that was the single most offensive thing I've ever seen written and it caused me to drop the show and I didn't come back until that mess was over. Rape shouldn't be made into something to entice laughs but this regime has a history of it. Them going there with Kate is no surprised and compound that with the awful writing and you are left with what seems like a mockery of a traumatic event

• Members

Yes I hated the Mitch tries to rape Jessica thing.

The Kate scenes worked for me because you actually saw it from her POV as she was remembering it. Yes it was distrubing but that is what it was supposed to be. What Kate was doing I did & How she was attacked and choked happened to me exactly.

• Members

First of all, John, I am truly sorry to hear about your personal ordeal. Being sexually assaulted is neither glamorous nor comical. However, to accuse some of us "laughing at rape," per se, is not entirely fair. Yes, we are laughing at the scenes involving Kate's reliving her attack. But I believe we are laughing more at Kelly Sullivan's performance in that scene than we are at the rape itself. Sometimes, something might be "spot on" in terms of how it reflects real-life experiences. However, that doesn't mean it translates well to the film or television screen.

• Members

Exactly! It's not the story that is getting these reactions from people. It's how it's presented and acted. And that means it's a failure, at least in my opinion. Rape is such a horrific crime that it really should be impossible to get this reaction, but somehow GH has managed to do that. I can't imagine anyone had this reaction watching Margo's rape on ATWT, or Bianca's on AMC, Eden's on Santa Barbara etc.

• Members

What Im saying think some here are not grasping, is how Kate recounted & acted out her rape Thursday was EXACTLY how the rape occured to me. I didnt see it as a mockery. I saw it as reliving my rape & having posters here laughing at it, saying its OTT is False. That is exactly how it went down with me. Kate's recount was real & authentic. I just wish some here would understand that. That scene was not funny, mockery or joke. That scene was more real, in your face to me than some rapes ive seen over the years including binks on AMC. (Which was not shown) or Laura's on Gh (Also not shown)

I think Kelly,Frank & Ron captured 100 % what I was feeling & going thru that night. I give them major props for showing what the victim went thru

• Members

Perhaps, it might have helped if they had intercut those scenes at the hospital with actual flashbacks to the rape? Nothing too specific, since there is supposed to be a sense of mystery to this storyline, but stuff like (Kate's vision of a) close-up of her rapist's hands intercut with her believing and actually behaving as if she is being choked. IOW, let us see more of Kate is actually seeing or remembering at that moment, so it feels just a bit more "real" to us at home.

• Members

And we do. And we have apologized for what you faced in your own experience. But if you want us to apologize for our honest (and not entirely groundless) reactions to these scenes in particular, I'm sorry, but that probably will not happen.

Archived